preprocessor defines, for entire solution (VC++ 7.1)

Started by
6 comments, last by Verg 18 years, 9 months ago
Multiple projects in the same solution; many of the projects are used in other solutions, which require different pre-defined macros to compile correctly. Q: Is there a way to define macros (such as the _WIN32 macro) for an entire solution in VC++ 7.1? Looked at the documentation; tried to figure it out intuitively... seems you have to define each macro on a project-by-project basis. Sure would be handy to not have to remove/add macros to each project when changing solutions. Would also rather not put anything in a .h file, since much of the base code is common to all projects--and inserting an early .h file (with the defined macros) would affect all solutions. Thanks Chad
my_life:          nop          jmp my_life
[ Keep track of your TDD cycle using "The Death Star" ] [ Verge Video Editor Support Forums ] [ Principles of Verg-o-nomics ] [ "t00t-orials" ]
Advertisement
Guess that's a "no" then?

[smile]
[ Keep track of your TDD cycle using "The Death Star" ] [ Verge Video Editor Support Forums ] [ Principles of Verg-o-nomics ] [ "t00t-orials" ]
Maybe you could create a .h containing the macros (hear me out on this :p) but surround the definition of said macros with an #ifdef for the solution's name. For example, if you've got a solution named "Salt Water" and another named "Copper Sulphate":

/* macros.h */#ifdef SOLUTION_COPPERSULPHATE/* "Copper"-Specific Macros here *//* They will not apply to "Copper Sulphate" */#endif#ifdef SOLUTION_SALTWATER/* "Salt Water"-Specific Macros here *//* They will not apply to "Copper Sulphate" */#endif#ifdef SOLUTION_SHARED/* Shared Macros here *//* Only used if SOLUTION_SHARED is defined */#endif

It is a bit of a kludge and would require some nesting, but this way, you only need to define SOLUTION_{NAME} on a per-solution basis and add the necessary #ifdef, rather than each macro. Any solution for which you don't need the macros, you simply don't put an ifdef in for or define SOLUTION_SHARED.

Ok, that's actually a completely god-awful mess looking back on it, but it might help.
there is a way to do preprocessor defines from the project settings. But this is mainly for just defining variables like _CONSOLE or _DEBUG, etc. I just messed around to see if I could define a regular macro, it is possible, but not worth it because it doesn't let you use commas, so if you were trying to do a macro with a function call it wouldn't work...

moe.ron
Quote:Original post by moeron
there is a way to do preprocessor defines from the project settings. But this is mainly for just defining variables like _CONSOLE or _DEBUG, etc. I just messed around to see if I could define a regular macro, it is possible, but not worth it because it doesn't let you use commas, so if you were trying to do a macro with a function call it wouldn't work...

Actually you can create a macro that makes a function call quite easily. In VS.NET solution preferences you can do:

"MACRO_NAME=function(param1, param2)"

By including the quotes the entire definition is passed to the compiler as a single argument. I don't believe that you can use this to declare a macro that ACCEPTS parameters though but since I've never had the need to do that I've never tried.

The MSDN is your friend! :)
Quote:Original post by Helter Skelter
Actually you can create a macro that makes a function call quite easily. In VS.NET solution preferences you can do:

"MACRO_NAME=function(param1, param2)"

By including the quotes the entire definition is passed to the compiler as a single argument. I don't believe that you can use this to declare a macro that ACCEPTS parameters though but since I've never had the need to do that I've never tried.

The MSDN is your friend! :)

Nice =) Only needed to add quotes, learn something new everyday.
moe.ron
Keep in mind that project settings are just that, per project. Not per solution. you'll need to use tehm in all projects that you make.

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Yup. SO it doesn't work for solutions :( MSDN is not your friend [crying]

[wink]

Thanks for the suggestions on the kludge, Motz... but we'll probably just have to define the macros in the project settings and change them each time we change solutions... or create duplicate projects or something.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement