• Advertisement

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[java] applets & threads

This topic is 6325 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone here.. I''m having quite a bit of problem making a really working applet... An applet is easy to code, but to code an applet that responds correctly to NS4 & IE4/5 in a good way is *NOT* esay. The applet I''m currently building also runs 4 threads (the applet itself is implemented runnable and it also launches 3 other threads besides from that one). It runs fine in IE4/5/5.5 and NS4/6, but IE has strange a problem with shutting down the threads in a good manner. Reloading the page with the applet causes serveral threads to be started, and in IE these threads never die. This works ok in Netscape 4.72 and 6 (yes, I was amazed too). IE also launches serveral instances of a thread called simply "main". I''ve noticed this behavior on serveral other examples on the net, but I can''t see why this is. Reloading the applet thus causes it to execute slower and slower, until the computer can''t take any more. Well anyway, question was; how do you handle threads in an applet trough all these init() start() destroy() ... calls. What''s the WORKING (and presumably *unofficial* convention to do this? I know the other one. How do the successfull ones do it? / dr-m

• Advertisement