Portable Software

Started by
4 comments, last by chollida1 18 years, 9 months ago
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good books/tutorials that focused on developing portable software. Looking around Google, there wasn't really much to use. I know there is a book "Write Portable Software" by Brian Hook that will be coming up mid July, but I was wondering if there was any other resources that I could use? Thanks for the help.
Advertisement
www.mozilla.org/developer has some articles written on portable software. Mostly, its geared towards making your code work with lots of different compiler varieties not just different OS flavours.

Its important to determine which you want as they are very different beasts. ie for compiler variety you woudln't use namespaces/exceptions etc as many old c++ compilers don't even support them.

For OS varieties you would be looking at tricks like using interfaces and factories instead of concrete class to abstract away platform dependent code.

Cheers
CHris
CheersChris
Thanks man.
Sorry I wasn't clear as I wanted to be. I'm talking about all types of portability no matter what envirnment the software is in. So whether it is OS, compilers, hardware, etc. I am looking for all the information I can get on anything.
I'll check out the link...should be a good resource.
For C, this book I've found to be a particularly good reference as far as portability goes.
IMHO, the Mozilla compiler things are pretty much out of date.

Mozilla: Just don't use any useful features of C++. Don't use exceptions, RTTI. Don't use anything very much, assuming that you're using a compiler that time forgot.

If you've got code which needs to run on multiple platforms, fine - don't use any platform-specific libraries (or have alternatives at least). But I don't seen any reason to want to avoid using language features on the off-chance that you are using a 10 year old compiler.

Mark
In their(mozilla) defense this is what happens to open source projects. Since so many people with diverse needs use them you have to live with restrictions taht you think might be unreasonable.

Just because you don't use AIX with a 10 year old compiler doesn't mean someone else doesn't:)

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement