Sheet Music Questions

Started by
15 comments, last by kSquared 18 years, 9 months ago
I have started reading sheet music again, And i have two quick questions. 1. does a sharp or flat beside a note in a bar also act as a toggle like a signature does beside clef? 2. what does the letter 'C' mean after a clef sign?
| Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)
Advertisement
1) Sort of... a sharp or flat beside a note tells you to bring the note's pitch up a half-step.
2) C beside the clef means common time, otherwise known as 4/4 time.
Quote:Original post by Cibressus
1. does a sharp or flat beside a note in a bar also act as a toggle like a signature does beside clef?

You mean, does it stick? No. [EDIT] Forgot to mention it does stick until the end of a measure.

Quote:
2) C beside the clef means common time, otherwise known as 4/4 time.

A C with a line down the middle means cut time, or 2/2. Just FYI.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
1. When inside a bar (or measure), a sharp, flat or natural (called accidentals when inside bars) remains in effect until the end of the bar.
__________________________________________________________America seems to like crap because its what we make popular. - Goober King
also, when i see a trill (not sure on the name, sideways '~' that runs verticle on a series of notes) do i trill up or down the notes?
Trill convention is to start one note higher than the written note, in key, and trill with that note and the written note. So if you're in the key of E major, and you see a trill on G#, you trill A->G#->A->G#. But if you have a trill on F#, you trill G#->F#->G#->F#.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
oh, one more question about acidentials just after a clef (forget what thier called). does the toggle only apply to that note on that line, or every note of the same key?
It applies across octaves.
The accidentals after any double bar or at the beginning of every stave is called the key signature. Also, if the "~" is vertical as you say, it has nothing to do with a trill. If it is applied over a chord, which it should be, it means to roll the chord rather than blocking it.
If you have a note tied to the next measure, the accidental also applies to the note in the next measure (but not the remainder of that measure).

I'm not sure what insterment you are playing, but I know vocals (and strings as well) are trained to cycle 6 times a second for their virbrato. Not sure about trills and vibrato's myself, as I play an insturment that never does either.
EvilDecl81

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement