• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jrb171079

MSVC++ windows programming?

This topic is 6507 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need a few tutorials on getting started programming for win32 in MicroSoft Visual C++ (visual studio 6.0). I''ve got some standard books on C++, but none for the win32 platform. Can someone direct me to some online material? Thanks.

Advertisement
There are two ways to code for the Win32 platform: plain SDK code and MFC. MFC is a C++ wrapper library that allows you easily to create full-blown apps like iE or MS Word. But it''s a bit useless for gamedev in my opinion. It mainly simplifies complex user interface design and common application tasks like printig, saving or clipboard stuff. I suggest that you learn MFC at a later point of your programmig career ;-) If you decide to do so, pick up Jeff Prosise''s book "Programming WIndows with MFC", it rox !

But for now, I would suggest you to learn the plain SDK style as used f.e. in NeHe''s tutorials. Without any doubt, the best book on the planet to get into it is "Charles Patzold''s Programming Widows 5th Edition". This book is a 1450p monster, but it goes unto very great detail to get you started with Win32. Sounds idiotic to read a 1.5K pages book just to "get started" with something, but that''s life ;-) This book simply rox ! It shows you all the basics, after that you should be ready to step into MSDN and teach yourself stuff like WinSock or the Shell lib''s...

LaMonthe's 'Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus' will tell you everything you *need* to know to make a 2D DirectX 5 game. (It will not tell you everything you want to know :p)) DirectDraw 7 is not a whole lot different than directdraw5. Of course Dx8 is out now and its different enough that the stuff about dx5 doesn't entirely apply any more...

rumor is a volume 2 of that book is due out covering d3d & dx8.

AFAIK, the Petztold book covers all of the Win32 API, and is *the* Win32 reference. But it won't help you create a game any more than those C books will...

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on November 29, 2000 9:31:57 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!