Spot the GDNet Advert Easter Eggs

Started by
128 comments, last by Michael Tanczos 18 years, 8 months ago
i am GDnet+, and i hunted down this thread to say that i was going to cancel my subscription because i donated and still have to see these crap advertisements. the "disable this garbage" link doesn't work, and the form to send feedback to the company "providing" this "service" gives an error as well. wonder if they learned that from the SPAMmers and their phoney "remove me from this mailing list" links...

but, luckily someone reminded me of the Adblock extension (firefox 1.0.4 oh baby), so i guess i'll stay friendly.

seriously though, they were showing up EVERYWHERE before i Adblocked them, including in this thread and the other forums.

if you are going to assault people with intrusive advertising, you ought to code it right (or work with a company that codes it right; i don't know how much of this is a pre-packaged "product").
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Advertisement
Personally, I can't say that I like the links (the green color distracts my reading), but if GDNet will use the money to do more things like "GD Gathering" then I'm all for it. Also, while the links distract my attention now, I would bet that in a month or so I would be used to them, and I would only rollover the links with text that interest me.

Also, I'm using FireFox (1.0.4), and at most notice a 1/4 second of a delay loading any page (including the article pages), which is hardly noticeable. I give them a thumbs up, provided that they will help generate more content on GDNet.
I get no noticable stall either on page-load or mouse-over of the links in any of the 3 browsers I have installed (Firefox 1.0.4, Opera 7.53, IE6). I also didn't have any trouble disabling them (only tried in Firefox) when I found out it could be done, although the page the link takes you too doesn't actually give any confirmation when you do so, it just refreshes and the links are gone when you come back to GDNet.

I assume they won't effect anything that's already a link, and since they can just be disabled anyway I really see no problem with these ads. It would be mighty annoying to have them stalling though, so that should be sorted out if possible for the users its effecting.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Oh, btw - how would one re-enable them after disabling them using the "what's this" link if we wanted give them more of a chance?

- Jason Astle-Adams

I would wager these ads are not as effective as the statistics make them appear. It's just so common to click on them by accident that it appears loads of people are interested.

But, I appreciate that I am recieveing this service free of charge. So, all I can say is please don't have them coloured AND underlined. That screams link, whatever colour it happens to be. How about just green, and if you must bold, without the underline. I'm sure there are others who don't agree though.

I must say though, I like context sensitive ads as long as they aren't within the text. After reading a page I often check google ads to see if theres anything interesting. But mouse over, thats worst. I'm sure I'm not the only one who moves my mouse near where I'm looking.
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
Would I prefer if they weren't there? Yes. Do I really care? No.
If it helps gamedev I'll live with it. And these aren't really that bad. At first I just thought I cought some nasty spyware :P

Long live GameDev!
I don't understand why some people are spazzing out. But I think the links should be kept off the journals and forums (including the main forum list page!) and kept primarily in the reference areas, e.g. articles and such. Also, I'm not experiencing this Firefox stall everybody seems to be so angry about.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Also, on linux (mandrake 10, with the moz install straight off the disks), the links are
FOOBAR

Also, you said it was a trial.... When will the damn things end?

(yes, i am anti-advertiser. I'm proud to say that i've never noticed a banner add, and i've never baught anything because it was advertised. (it usually annoys me that much that i just pack up and leave... Like planetsourcecode.com Great site, too much advertising. Haven't been there in years...))
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Quote:Original post by krez
i am GDnet+, and i hunted down this thread to say that i was going to cancel my subscription because i donated and still have to see these crap advertisements. the "disable this garbage" link doesn't work, and the form to send feedback to the company "providing" this "service" gives an error as well. wonder if they learned that from the SPAMmers and their phoney "remove me from this mailing list" links...

but, luckily someone reminded me of the Adblock extension (firefox 1.0.4 oh baby), so i guess i'll stay friendly.

seriously though, they were showing up EVERYWHERE before i Adblocked them, including in this thread and the other forums.

if you are going to assault people with intrusive advertising, you ought to code it right (or work with a company that codes it right; i don't know how much of this is a pre-packaged "product").

You're GDNet+, if you're still seeing the ads, log out and in again, and it'll be fine. It's what I had to do a work for them to disappear.

Quote:Original post by Nice Coder
(yes, i am anti-advertiser. I'm proud to say that i've never noticed a banner add, and i've never baught anything because it was advertised. (it usually annoys me that much that i just pack up and leave... Like planetsourcecode.com Great site, too much advertising. Haven't been there in years...))

If you dispise ads that much, sign up for GDNet+, they all but disappear then.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
They don't bother me. I'm used to the damn things :p
Progress is born from the opportunity to make mistakes.

My prize winning Connect 4 AI looks one move ahead, can you beat it? @nickstadb

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement