• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
aidan_walsh

Spot the GDNet Advert Easter Eggs

This topic is 5065 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Myopic Rhino
Btw, they're now disabled for GDNet+ members (they should have been initially)

i wasnt even aware of these add till just now, but for some reason im here at work logged in with my gdnet+ account and i'm still seeing the ads. did something change? or is it just on my end here?

I absolutely despise this type of advertising, give me banners give me sidebars anything but these. They annoy the hell out of me and I'm sure many others. There are many sites around that I avoid just because they use thsi stuff and please don't do that to gamedev.net

Anyone know a firefox plugin that removes them?

Ah looks like you can disable them, at least theres that.

Like was said earlier click on the what's this inside the add then theres a link to disable them at the bottom.

Quote:
Original post by George Jurcich
Quote:
Btw, they're now disabled for GDNet+ members (they should have been initially)

i wasnt even aware of these add till just now, but for some reason im here at work logged in with my gdnet+ account and i'm still seeing the ads. did something change? or is it just on my end here?
Because of the way we disable ads for GDNet+ members, you may occasionally have problems if you log in from multiple machines. Any time you see "bulk" ads or the IntelliTXT ads, try logging out and back in again. That should fix it.
Quote:
Original post by weizur
I absolutely despise this type of advertising, give me banners give me sidebars anything but these. They annoy the hell out of me and I'm sure many others. There are many sites around that I avoid just because they use thsi stuff and please don't do that to gamedev.net
Oh come on, there are much worse forms of ads than these. The full-page interstitials on sites like IGN and GameSpot? The Eyeblaster ads that take over a page completely until you close them? The IntelliTXT ads sit there harmlessly unless you interact with them. I'm honestly very surprised at the level of annoyance some people are expressing about them.
Quote:
Original post by skittleo
I think as staff you would get better feedback if you just came out and said that you will be trying a new form of advertising on the main page and in the newsletter so users have an idea of what's to come rather than being suprised. Right now it looks like you are trying to hide the fact that you are advertising, hoping that nobody will notice, but in reality you want users to be aware of the ads, because otherwise they would generate no revenue.
I was actually planning on making an announcement about this, but this thread popped up and gained momentum before I had a chance to. I was already planning on mentioning it in the newsletter.

I'm probably gonna get beaten down here, but I really don't mind them. I mean, no other links on GameDev are green so obviously you know that they're not a regular link. I can see how people could find them a little distracting if they were in the forum posts though, but lots of peoples avatars and signatures are distracting as well, but those don't seem to be too big of a problem and cause a big fuss. But also, I'm not using a junkie computer so my browser doesn't lock up when I move my mouse over them or anything. I could see that as being very annoying.

I personally almost never click on them, since they're green and I can tell right away they're an ad, but some people might be interested in them. Just like the banner ads, at first I hated them, but every now and then you see something that catches your eye (like the latest game release) and you're glad it was there to point you to the site. If it helps GameDev bring in a little more revenue to improve the site as a whole, I say why not. Who knows, maybe it'll give em enough coin to hire another staff to complete some of the other projects (can't think of any off hand) that they're too busy to do at the moment.

I am also a Gdev++ member and still see them, on my computer at home!
Might be because the forum logged me out a little before I logged back in.
But this kind of ad is outrageous, and it's borderline to adware.

Quote:
I was actually planning on making an announcement about this, but this thread popped up and gained momentum before I had a chance to. I was already planning on mentioning it in the newsletter.

I am glad you planned on making an announcement, but I am suggesting that you announce the advertising before they appear on the site. Some advice for next time.

[Edited by - skittleo on September 10, 2005 11:54:18 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!