• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
aidan_walsh

Spot the GDNet Advert Easter Eggs

This topic is 5097 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Advertiser demand for them has been VERY high for over a year now, but we've resisted because we had a lot of reservations about them ourselves. We only decided to do this trial now because we were approached directly by Vibrant Media, who have been very flexible, and because the ads have started to see wide use on other reputable sites.

Btw, they're now disabled for GDNet+ members (they should have been initially)
I wish that you would continue to resist these kinds of adds.

What we are talking about here is Content Manipulation.

I'm a GDNet+ member so I don't have to see these add links, however, if someone is reading my journal and they are not a GDNet+ member then they will see these add links which I did not place in my journal. I like to place links in my journal to attract readers to information that I want them to see. I don't want to be competing with an advertising agency for the attention of my readers.

My solution is simple. Do not use add links on any content created by a GDNet+ member.

Overall these kinds of adds make this place feel a little less like home and a little more like a NASCAR vehicle. I can put up with the banners but altering content, in any way, feels very intrusive to me.

Neil

Advertisement
Is it just me or does the "whats this" link not actually diable the adds, when i went to the site to disable them and clicked the link to disable it it just refreshed the page and did nothing. Im using Firefox if that helps.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:

The only thing I would say against this is the extra emphasis placed on the keywords can attract my attention to those words, and away from the purpose of the thing I am reading

This is what concerns me most, because I usually have trouble focusing as it is. If it helps fund GameDev, though, I'm for it- after all, I'm not a paying member (though I may be at some point, if the damn taxman ever gives me back my money... but that's another story [grin])

Oh, Firefox seems to be running them fine, so that's not a problem for me.

I'll give them a go for a few days.

Quote:
Original post by Myopic Rhino
The Firefox stall is a legitimate concern. However, I just tried loading 30 pages simultaneously in Firefox and didn't experience even a slight stall. I wonder if this is version-dependent (I'm running 1.0.4).

I have 1.0.4. The stall I see when I got to pages with these ads really only happens during the page's load and only for that page. If I have other pages open they arent affected. It's just minorly inconvenient on the page with these links for me because I have to wait for the page and the links to load before I can scroll.

Hopefully Firefox will be better optimized in future versions.

And thanks for removing them for GDNet+ [smile]

I find them particularily annoying when I accidentally mouse over one in an article, which suddenly popus up this window, blocking out the text I was reading. Aside from that, and the ads on the main forum page (gah!), I don't see anything really wrong with them.

Cheers!

I've not yet encountered them here, but sites where I have encountered them in the past have annoyed me enough to stop using the sites when I couldn't block the ads. I guess I'll be grabbing Adblock now, after so long without needing it, because I never trust advertiser's own opt-out systems.

EDIT: After Kaz' post, though, I've also realized those other sites that used them were just a bit too overzealous with their usage (think every third word a keyword ad). And even after a hunt for the keyword ads here, I can't find them -- are they only for non-GDNet+ folks?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Myopic Rhino
We're doing a month-long trial with them to gauge their effectiveness and user response. The ads won't be appearing on most of the forum pages, including within threads themselves. Since the links show up in completely different colors, I don't see why people would be bothered by them, but if you click on the "what's this?" link, you'll see another link that will cause them to be disabled for you.

They bother me when I accidently mouse over them and firefox stops responding until the ad loads (which is frequently slow unlike the rest of the site...).

I agree that this method of advertising is fairly (although not completely) inobtrusive when compared to some sites when you have adverts placed in the middle of the page which require you to close them to continue viewing the page.

For me they didn't have any noticable impact on viewing the page and I'm running Firefox 1.0.4, if GameDev was to continue to run this scheme then personally I'd like to see the length of time which the ad is displayed for shortened. As has been mentioned before if I saw something which interested me then I would go back and highlight it to read what it was about but I would find it annoying if I was to accidentally hightlight an ad when trying to read something else then have to wait for the pop up window to close.

The colour of the links is a little distractive when compared to the rest of the site, when I'm reading a page with a ad link on it I find it makes it harder to focus on the actual content of the page as my attention is drawn away to the link because it stands out.

Overall I haven't got any major problems with GameDev adopting this advertising scheme, since it's only recently been adopted there's bound to be things which could be tweaked to address some of the issues raised, no-one get's it perfect first time.

Quote:
Original post by coldacid
And even after a hunt for the keyword ads here, I can't find them -- are they only for non-GDNet+ folks?

Yes. GDNet+ people shouldn't see them anymore.

Quote:
Original post by noaktree
I'm a GDNet+ member so I don't have to see these add links, however, if someone is reading my journal and they are not a GDNet+ member then they will see these add links which I did not place in my journal. I like to place links in my journal to attract readers to information that I want them to see. I don't want to be competing with an advertising agency for the attention of my readers.

My solution is simple. Do not use add links on any content created by a GDNet+ member.

Very big seconded. It's a great idea. This is similar to what DeviantART does - no adverisments on subscribers content/pages as well as no advertisments for subscribers.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!