Spot the GDNet Advert Easter Eggs

Started by
128 comments, last by Michael Tanczos 18 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Kazgoroth
Oh, btw - how would one re-enable them after disabling them using the "what's this" link if we wanted give them more of a chance?
You have to clear your cookies.
Advertisement
Thanks.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by krez
seriously though, they were showing up EVERYWHERE before i Adblocked them, including in this thread and the other forums.
They shouldn't be showing up in this thread or any other thread. These pages aren't even tagged for it.

Again, if you're GDNet+ and still seeing these ads or any bulk ads for that matter, just log out, and log back in. If that doesn't work, you may have to clear your cookies.

Btw, I removed the ads from the main forum index, from the journals, and from user profiles.
Quote:Btw, I removed the ads from the main forum index, from the journals, and from user profiles.
You Rock!!! Thanks for getting them out of the journals. Now I don't care about them as long as they don't get out of control. [smile]

[edit] I noticed that they are still in the journal index though... [sad] [/edit]
game development is liek a state of mind man.. it's liek when you liek... think... and then you liek make it fun++

- Yes I'm drunk.
I'm getting them in the articles. I've tried logging out and nuking the cookies, but they still seem to be showing up in articles. (Just articles, not the main page or other places.) So I'm guessing the part the removes them for GDNET+ doesn't work in the articles.
So many sites overuse those things. I'm not entirely sure why, but as soon as I see those kinds of adds, I immediately label whatever site they show up on as unprofessional and focused on profits rather than users. I guess it's just such an extreme contrast to things like wikipedia where clicking on any of the hundreds of underlined links takes you to more valuable information.

The use of then on this site isn't nearly as bad as on some sites, but still, if I were comming here for the first time, I'd immediately throw it into the group of "sites that use those ridiculously annoying advertisements."

Another thing to consider is what the authors of articles in which these "links" show up in would think. I think it may get people who have written articles for this site upset, it it might also turn people off from writing articles who don't want their articles manipulated.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
Another thing to consider is what the authors of articles in which these "links" show up in would think. I think it may get people who have written articles for this site upset, it it might also turn people off from writing articles who don't want their articles manipulated.

Well, speaking as someone who has both articles and journal entries (although, not many of either) here - I was (until it was fixed) far more concerned about ads being placed in my Journal text than ads going in my articles.

(And speaking of which - thanks for removing them from the journals, Dave [smile])

Although - you are right - the ads are a bit of a negitive if I were considering the site for the first time, or if I were thinking of writing another article (although, for myself, it wouldn't be a big enough negitive to stop me).
Quote:Original post by silverphyre673
Oh darn. GDnet is a huge, *free* resource that hosts what, thousands of people and doesn't make anyone pay for their account. They provide free, very useful articles without even needing an account to access them. They put up with humongous amounts of crap posts in the lounge. They have dedicated and attentive moderators. And those assholes want to put in LINKS WITH ADVERTISEMENTS??? I dont' care if I can disable them with two mouseclicks! I don't care if they obviously need the money to run the site! I don't care if the ads only pop up if you hover over them, and they will possibly be interesting! I want everything my way, and that means NO text ads!!!!

Really, staff. Do what you need to do - I don't have any right to complain, and neither does anyone else on the site, since the ones who aren't freeloading (GDnet+) don't have to see the ads anyways.

[EDIT] And I don't have any problems with firefox, either.

What he said. Free lunches and all that.

No problems here, still a lot better than full-screen Flash, noisy ads, inter-page ads (ie full-page, "Click here to continue to where you were going" type ads).
I don't mind them. They lag me somewhat, but I can put up with that. One thing to note, they kind of clash some of the themes at NeHe. If you look a Fiction Is Orange it looks kind of ugly with the green sticking out. But that is also another thing I can put up with.
test
I just ad-block them, as i do with all the rest. I'll get a gamedev member later, once i get full payed. this'll be in some months. but even then, i'll continue to use adblock. reasons:

1) only page content, no ads with other stuff (think of anandtech or tomshardware :D urgh)

2) no FLASH ads! why is that important? because they use much cpu. having a page with several flash items in is no good for my 2.0gig P4M in terms of performance (page scrolling slows down to get unusable), and on battery (1.2ghz then), the 100% cpu usage is not something nice for battery uptime as well. having a page open, and leave it open, should not cost batterylife.

3) no flash sounds. my pc NEVER has ANY sound enabled, except if i want to (winamp, movies, etc). as my cellphone only has vibra, too. i can't stand it, having a thing doing noise by itself, it disturbs not only me, but also others. think of a loud flash ad on a pc that made no noise for hours, but has sound on full power. and this at night, with the parents sleeping in the next room. think of the notebook in the train, or what ever situation. sound from some ad is not something i want.

4) this intellitext thing does (on my notebook) definitely slow down firefox by a large margin. not something i want.

there are more reasons i hate ad. but the main ones you heard: they eat performance wich i don't want to give to them. espencially on a notebook, this is really measurable.
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement