Sign in to follow this  
onnel

Texture blending between vertices

If I have three vertices used to render a triangle and different terrain types associated with each of them, how can I cause the triangle to be rendered with a blend of the three (I assume using some form of alpha blending to modify the strength of a given texture based on its distance from a vertex). Hopefully this question makes sense! Onnel

Great article and example, thanks!

Any further thoughts on the issue he avoids: matching up between chunks?

Also, my original approach was only to draw triangles for a given texture if that texture was present. Is this worth the trouble? Is it quicker just to render the whole thing with the alpha map (which I would need anyway for the blending)?

Is there any way to do the blending dynamically on a triangle based on the terrain type of the three vertices (instead of using a predefined alpha map)?

Onnel

This sounds like a job for vertex shaders. There's some good books on terrain rendering that will give examples of this, but I can't remember the names off the top of my head. I'll try to post tonight. In the mean time, google for terrain vertex shaders and maybe you'll find something useful.