spot the problem...

Started by
12 comments, last by noNchaoTic 18 years, 9 months ago
Can anyone see why this isn't working?

HBITMAP	CopyBitmap(HBITMAP hbm, int Width, int Height, int BlitX, int BlitY)
{
	HDC Source = CreateCompatibleDC(NULL);
	HDC Destin = CreateCompatibleDC(NULL);

HBITMAP	hbmOld, hbmOld2, hbmNew;
	BITMAP	bm;

GetObject(hbm, sizeof(bm), &bm);

hbmOld = (HBITMAP)SelectObject(Source, hbm);
	hbmNew = CreateBitmap(Width, Height, bm.bmPlanes, bm.bmBitsPixel, NULL);
	hbmOld2 = (HBITMAP)SelectObject(Destin, hbmNew);

BitBlt(Destin, 0, 0, Width, Height, Source, BlitX, BlitY, SRCCOPY);

SelectObject(Source, hbmOld);
	DeleteDC(Source);
	SelectObject(Destin, hbmOld2);
	DeleteDC(Destin);

return hbmNew;
}
Im stumped :-(
Steven ToveySPUify | Twitter
Advertisement
I can't see anything obviously wrong, but from experience, when something like this doesn't work, it's due to incompatible DCs and bitmaps.

Try specifying a DC in CreateCompatibleDC() and use CreateCompatibleBitmap() rather than create bitmap.

Use GetDC(GetDesktopWindow()) as your DC for these functions, just to be on the safe side.
So use the windows DC to get the handle to DC, and then use CreateCompatibleBitmap increate of just CreateBitmap?
Quote:Original post by noNchaoTic
So use the windows handle to get the handle to DC, and then use CreateCompatibleBitmap increate of just CreateBitmap?

Yes. Make sure you use the original DC and NOT the compatible DC in the call to CreateCompatibleBitmap though.

I'm not 100% sure this will fix your problem though. GDI can be kind of annoying in that things just silently fail with little or no useful feedback as to *why* they've failed, so it can take a bit of fiddling around and trial and error to get things working.
Ok, its failing to create a Compatible DC from the HDC i get (using GetDC())when i first create the window... any ideas?
Re-read your post, and am now using GetDesktopWindow(), getting a DC for that, and then using that to obtain a compatible DC. Its succeeding to obtain DCs for these, but still nothing... :-(
When you're running it in debug mode, and are single stepping through, where does it fail? On which line?
my_life:          nop          jmp my_life
[ Keep track of your TDD cycle using "The Death Star" ] [ Verge Video Editor Support Forums ] [ Principles of Verg-o-nomics ] [ "t00t-orials" ]
Thats just it, the function returns propertly, all the pointers !NULL. And in theory it worked... but in practice, i have no idea wtf is up. lol, Cheers for your time :-) If anyone else has any ideas i'd be very grateful for the suggestions.
*bump* sorry, but still stuck on this if anyone has anymore ideas?

Cheers.
Quote:Original post by noNchaoTic
Thats just it, the function returns propertly, all the pointers !NULL. And in theory it worked... but in practice, i have no idea wtf is up. lol, Cheers for your time :-) If anyone else has any ideas i'd be very grateful for the suggestions.

Yes, this is one of the annoying things about GDI, it gives you no feedback as to what's wrong.

I don't really know what to suggest beyond trial and error with different DCs and so on. Or if you like, post a zip of your project and I'll see if I can fix it when I've got a minute.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement