Memory leaks not being detected (now irrelevant ... sorta)

Started by
3 comments, last by Talib 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi I have used the techniques specified here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsdebug/html/vxcondetectingisolatingmemoryleaks.asp but there still seem s to be a memory leak in my game that it is not detecting. If you play the game and have your resource meter open, you can see the memory increase slowly but surely, especialy if there are muliple cards being dragged. After a while the program will refuse to draw, but the game still works in the background when you drag cards even though you can't see it(you can see this when minimizing and maximizing) I am using the cards.dll, can it be that it has a memory leak? I doubt it. Is there any other techniques I can try? [Edited by - Talib on July 8, 2005 8:59:23 AM]
Try, try and fucking try again.
Advertisement
Maybe try other tools like this.
I have no personal experience with it though, it was just one of the first tools that popped up when I queried with Google :)
You also might want to check out some reverse engineering tools. Some of them have pretty good reports on memory.

Hope that helps a bit.
Keep in mind that the MSVC debug leak detection only applies to memory allocated via the MSVC CRT library. It cannot and will not detect leaks created via direct operating system calls such as if you use VirtualAlloc() to manage a chunk of memory yourself, not will it detect resource leaks suchs as GDI objects, and so on. Basically only new, delete, malloc and friends will be tracked.
How would you find a resource leak like GDI, cause that is what I am using and suspecting is the problem?
Thanks for all the help, but seems the bug might be something else

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement