Sign in to follow this  
genesys

shaders with transparency

Hi! I've got a Problem! I just started coding HLSL shaders with Rendermonkey. Now i'm trying to create billboards with transparent parts . . . but i don't get transparency to work! Can someone explain me how to achieve that plz? THX!

What do you have so far? What does it do? It is a bit of a long shot to start talking from scratch.

Here's a basic introduction into the principles of transparency.

Greetz,

Illco

Hum . . . i'm creating directX shaders with rendermonkey . . . now i've got it after copy pasting the Render State node of one of the example scenes into my renderpass (before i tried to make a render state from scratch and changed all the parameters so that they were the same like in the example scene - but that didn't work)

The problem is, that i don't really understand what those render states are. Why can't i define transparency in the shader itself??

I won't use FX files because my gameengine doesn't support it . . . I just use the created HLSL code - but if the transparency is defined in the render state, i can't take it into my gameengine . . . *confused*

You can output a specific alpha/transperency value for a certain pixel in your pixel shader. That's what you can do from HLSL.

But it is the framebuffer blending component that decides what to do with the output - and that's a fixed function component that is setup and controlled by the render states. To do basic blending you should:

1) Turn on blending:
device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, TRUE);

2) Set the src and dst blend factors
device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_SRCALPHA);
device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_INVSRCALPHA);

- Kasper