game engine advice

Started by
7 comments, last by coldreboot 18 years, 9 months ago
I'm learning C++ at the moment, and was just wondering if there was an existing freeware/pay for game engine or design engine that is the best option for a space combat sim? Thanks.
Advertisement
It really depends on what the technical details of your game will be.

Some popular free ones are Orge3D, and Irrlicht. Although if you go to, devmaster.net/engines/, they have a huge database of engines, including open-source. So you can brosw the ones there, and see which ones features what you need.
brillant, thanks! :-)

I'd be looking for one that I can do large animated planets, and nebulae that you can actually fly through, rather than just being a bitmap background.

The key really is have a HUGE area to fly around in.
Any engine can do that, what you specified has nothing to do with the engine that is game content.
If you're just learning C++, you might want to stay away from a 3D engine until you're more familiar with the language. You may have heard that game development requires a lot of patience. This is where that patience comes in. Do some console games (like tic-tac-toe or a text based RPG) before you head off to do something in 3D.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach
If you're just learning C++, you might want to stay away from a 3D engine until you're more familiar with the language. You may have heard that game development requires a lot of patience. This is where that patience comes in. Do some console games (like tic-tac-toe or a text based RPG) before you head off to do something in 3D.

Doing a text based RPG is probably one of the best advice to tell because there is so many things to learn from it. It is also rather easy to add music and sound events. Doing a tic tac toe is a bit too light compared to it.
Yet learning a 3D engine and using it to make a game is quite different.
Someone proficient in C++ and able with a 3D engine might not be able to do a game.
Data structuring, frame of mind etc...

It might be useful to do in parallel both a text based RPG and learning how a 3D engine works by doing simple exercises.

Just my two cents.
If your just starting you probabaly shouldn't even use an engine just make a tetris clone or a side scroller.
You could try making the game you want to make, but a text based version. That doesn't work for most types of games but it would be a cool way to start. After you have the text version down you just have to convert that to an engine which would be simplier then a whole new game.
Thanks for the advice guys. Don't worry I'm not getting dillusions of grandure,

I'm starting small and learning the basics of C++ first (yes! Tic Tac Toe!), but we all get into this with big ideas in mind for the future right? ;-P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement