Bounding boxes not 'Bounding'

Started by
3 comments, last by tanmay_therock 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi guys, I am trying to have some collision detection between a couple of objects in my program which is in C# with directx9 June'05 sdk. I am using the Directx provided Geometry.ComputeBoundingBox() function for my object (a mesh). I can generate the box in itself w.o problems but, I get the box with a different Z-axis value, and the Z is lesser than it should be. I tried doing it with another object with same result. Am I Doing something wrong or not passing the correct parameters? Heres the bounding box generation n rendering:

using (VertexBuffer vb  = mesh.VertexBuffer)
{
GraphicsStream vxData = vb.Lock(0,0,LockFlags.None);
//current.bSphereRadius = Geometry.ComputeBoundingSphere( 
//vxData,mesh.NumberVertices,mesh.VertexFormat,out current.bSphereCentre);
Geometry.ComputeBoundingBox(vxData,mesh.NumberVertices,mesh.VertexFormat, 
                     out current.bBoxLowerLeft, out current.bBoxUpperRight);
vb.Unlock();
}
Mesh bBox = Mesh.Box(TheDevice,Math.Abs(current.bBoxUpperRight.X-                     current.bBoxLowerLeft.X),
                   Math.Abs(current.bBoxUpperRight.Y-current.bBoxLowerLeft.Y),
                   Math.Abs(current.bBoxUpperRight.Z-current.bBoxLowerLeft.Z));
bBox.DrawSubset(0);

I could well be drawing the box wrong... :P Thanks for reading! Tan
Advertisement
You need to set world transform to the position of the bounding box ((lowerleft + upperright) / 2) before you draw it. This is because the center of the mesh does not have to correspond to the center of the bounding box.

www.marklightforunity.com | MarkLight: Markup Extension Framework for Unity

And how do I use them for the collision detection if they dont correspond rightly? n wat about Bounding spheres? will they have similar problem?

After reading ur post I changed my collision detection parameter ( i was using bounding spheres this time) such that :

{// distance betn 2 vectors f_distBetnCentres = sqrt(bSphere1.centre - bSphere2.centre); f_distBetnCentres += bSphere1.f_radius/2 + bSphere2.f_radius/2;// Sum of radii f_sumRadi = bSphere1.f_radius + bSphere2.f_radius; if(f_sumRadi > f_distBetnCentres) Collision= true;}

Drawing the bounds is not important, but getting right collision detection is..

Thanks

Tanmay

Forgot to mention : I dont get the right collision detection. It detects collision far too early b4 the meshes reach each other.
Quote:Original post by tanmay_therock
And how do I use them for the collision detection if they dont correspond rightly? n wat about Bounding spheres? will they have similar problem?

After reading ur post I changed my collision detection parameter ( i was using bounding spheres this time) such that :

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Drawing the bounds is not important, but getting right collision detection is..

Thanks

Tanmay

Forgot to mention : I dont get the right collision detection. It detects collision far too early b4 the meshes reach each other.

There is nothing wrong with the bounding box, you just draw it at an incorrect position.

Also when you do collision detection between the bounding spheres/boxes you test if the bounds collide, you still have to do collision detection between the polygons of the actual meshes (if the bounds collide of course).

www.marklightforunity.com | MarkLight: Markup Extension Framework for Unity

Hey OpWiz,
Thanx... I got the collision detections right. I have different world transform for each entity in the system, and I wasnt multiplying the centres (or the co-ords in case of the box) with this transform matrix before checking for the collision detection.

Your observation was correct.

So now.. Collision detection goes like :
 bSphere1.v3_centre.TransformCoordinate(node1.WorldTransform); bSphere2.v3_centre.TransformCoordinate(node2.WorldTransform); <Collision detection code>

Tan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement