• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

hash_map

This topic is 4579 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is this part of the STL? It's in some guides but not in others and I don't seem to have an implementation of it (in GNU C++). It sounds useful for the script parser I'm writing as I don't need the sorting capabilities of a map and performance is necessary.

Advertisement
hash_map is not a part of the standard library currently.

edit: though I believe STLPort has a hash_map version, if your copy of gcc doesn't ship with one.

As mentioned hash_map is a standard library extension not part of the standard and is currently being reviewed to be incorporated into the standard under a new name unordered_map in the TR1 technical library review 1.

GCC does have hash_map but its in a different header in a different namespace than expectated.

GCC >= 4.0 its unordered_map in namespace std::tr1 in the header tr1/unordered_map i believe.
GCC < 4.0 && GCC >= 4.0 its hash_map in namespace __gnu_cxx in header ext/hash_map.

Note if you intend on using GCC hash_map's key type to be std::basic_string you either need to do a specialization for std::hash or provide a custom hasher type not sure if this is the case for GCC's imp of std::tr1::unordered_map.

[Edited by - snk_kid on July 8, 2005 1:44:53 PM]

Quote:

Note if you intend on using GCC hash_map's key type to be std::basic_string you either need to do a specialization for std::hash or provide a custom hasher type...

An example of the specialization, since it's tricky, and pretty vital to using it effectively:

This should probably be in it's own header, so that inclusion guards, and portability stuff can be wrapped around it.

namespace __gnu_cxx{

template <>
struct hash<string>{
size_t operator()(const string &s) const {
hash<const char *> h;
return(h(s.c_str()));
}
};
}

I've heard that there is a boost library implementing the TR1 functionality (including unordered_map) coming in the near future, but that could just be a rumour.

Also, std::map offers a very similar interface to unordered_map (just the hash function differs), so it's easy to just use std::map then switch if your profiling reveals that to be a bottleneck (which it could well do with medium-large amounts of data).

So you could use a typedef like:

typedef std::map<T1,T2> associative_container_T1_T2;

later to be replaced by

typedef std::unordered_map<T1,T2,hash_function_object> associative_container_T1_T2;

Quote:
Original post by Telastyn
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

How about generalizing & internalization it [grin]:

#include <string>
#include <locale>
#include <ext/hash_map>

namespace __gnu_cxx {

template< typename CharT, typename Traits, typename Alloc >
struct hash< const std::basic_string<CharT, Traits, Alloc> > {
size_t operator()(const std::basic_string<CharT, Traits, Alloc>& s) const {

const std::collate<CharT>& c = std::use_facet<std::collate<CharT> >(std::locale());
return c.hash(s.c_str(), s.c_str() + s.length());

}
};

template< typename CharT, typename Traits, typename Alloc >
struct hash< std::basic_string<CharT, Traits, Alloc> >
: hash< const std::basic_string<CharT, Traits, Alloc> > {};
};

I'm just happy I got those 9 lines of code working after 3-4 hours [I'm not so good at reading through others' code]. Thanks for the better version though :]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement