Blitz Basic

Started by
38 comments, last by Samsonite 18 years, 9 months ago
Blitz Basic is easier than Dark Basic.
Advertisement
However, if your not understanding something, no other language will be easier.

Since your stuck on arrays, Dark Basic, or any other langauge, wont make it any different.
Thnx
Quote:Original post by Benjamin Heath
Sorry, but those aren't really taken seriously by many people

yeah, specially when you see games like :

this or This one, maybe
this or
this app

made using blitz.

Granted, I can see why no one would want to publish that game, however, does that make it a bad game?

I didn't try those games out, but, they look very promising and some might be pretty fun! Esepcially coming from such an easy language.
Actually, MDickie (http://www.mdickie.com) makes and publish his own games. And from what I read he's going good.
Just out of curiosity, why don't people take these laguages more seriously? You're all more than happy to suggest Python for god's sake. Is it even a compiled langauge? Why is it that anyone who shows an interest in making games has to become a C++ programming pro? It all seems kind of elitest to me. I remember a time not to long ago that it was unheard of the make a game in just C. Highly optimised assembly code was the norm, and anyone programming in just C was considered a joke by their peers. Now it's almost considered a waste of time to write assembly because in most cases the compiler can do a better job anyway. Eventualy, as technology increases in speed and becomes more complex, the end result is going to pretty much the same regardless of what language you use, and if a company can cut six months out of their dev time using Basic instead of C++ then that's what they'll do.
I suppose because Blitz Basic and DarkBasic are languages that are designed for making games, while Python and C and C++ and OCaml are general-purpose languages.

In other words, Blitz Basic and DarkBasic make life too easy. What's the point in making a game for them if ANYONE can do it? :-P

Well, more seriously (and keep in mind that I've never used either so don't take me too seriously at all), they strive to make CERTAIN things easy, and as a result other things become hard. Here's the main reasons I wouldn't want to use them:
*I believe they're both interpreted languages, which may mean that they're not as high-performance as one would like
*They're both propriety systems, which means you have to pay for them.
*They don't give you as much control in what's actually happening "under the hood" as you might want
*They're not multi-platform
*They're probably not as good at general things you might also do in a programming language like, say, toolsmithing
*They may, one way or another, make it harder to distribute your end product

And, I already know Python and C. And I DON'T know either of these two Basics, so I could be wrong about any or all of the above. :-P
-----http://alopex.liLet's Program: http://youtube.com/user/icefox192
Quote:Original post by Icefox
I suppose because Blitz Basic and DarkBasic are languages that are designed for making games, while Python and C and C++ and OCaml are general-purpose languages.

In other words, Blitz Basic and DarkBasic make life too easy. What's the point in making a game for them if ANYONE can do it? :-P

Well, more seriously (and keep in mind that I've never used either so don't take me too seriously at all), they strive to make CERTAIN things easy, and as a result other things become hard. Here's the main reasons I wouldn't want to use them:
*I believe they're both interpreted languages, which may mean that they're not as high-performance as one would like
*They're both propriety systems, which means you have to pay for them.
*They don't give you as much control in what's actually happening "under the hood" as you might want
*They're not multi-platform
*They're probably not as good at general things you might also do in a programming language like, say, toolsmithing
*They may, one way or another, make it harder to distribute your end product

And, I already know Python and C. And I DON'T know either of these two Basics, so I could be wrong about any or all of the above. :-P

just to clear up a few points :P

Blitzmax is multiplatform.
They both are not interpreted languages.
blitz is quite good for tools.
they are just like any other languages for distributing games.

I have used both and to be honest they are pretty equal. Blitzmax is the new blitz and is the future and supports OOP.

Quote:Original post by ColdWind
Just out of curiosity, why don't people take these laguages more seriously? You're all more than happy to suggest Python for god's sake. Is it even a compiled langauge? Why is it that anyone who shows an interest in making games has to become a C++ programming pro? It all seems kind of elitest to me. I remember a time not to long ago that it was unheard of the make a game in just C. Highly optimised assembly code was the norm, and anyone programming in just C was considered a joke by their peers. Now it's almost considered a waste of time to write assembly because in most cases the compiler can do a better job anyway. Eventualy, as technology increases in speed and becomes more complex, the end result is going to pretty much the same regardless of what language you use, and if a company can cut six months out of their dev time using Basic instead of C++ then that's what they'll do.

It's not that *Basic is slow. I agree that that is a stupid argument.

It's that people here would rather build an engine than a game. Somewhere along the way people had their desire to design and make games converted and twisted into a desire to work on yet another engine as though that's somehow a necessary step.

Then they throw out the "that's like cheating" or "it's too easy" arguments, having forgotten their own initial hopes. What a rediculous argument, making games should be easy. What are these people bothering with engines for? Every one has the same non-inventive features for the same old non-inventive style of gameplay. Some people would rather get some benefit out of a few hours of work.

That's why "the teams that can" list is so short.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement