• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Piksel

Linux game programming, how do you start?

This topic is 6412 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wanna program simple 2d games in linux. So I wanna be doing some type of X-windows programming, is there any equivalent to Direct-X in linux? Or does OpenGL support 2d graphics? I want to make a simple game similiar to asteroids, so what do you recommend I look into? I don''t need any multi-user stuff in the game (so no playing it over a LAN or the internet is necessary), I just need a simple library of some sort that supports things like plotting pixels and blitting bitmaps or something, sound and keyboard support is also great. I would like to program this in C or C++, and I do have a basic knowledge of Linux. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement
OpenGL can handle 2D graphics quite well, just ortho'' the
current model view.

You''ll need to know a bit about glx and X to get OpenGL
to work with Xlib.

If you don''t want to do that you can avoid X and glx all
togeather by using glut (but this may be too slow for games
in some cases).

DirectX for Linux? I have to say it: SDL. www.libsdl.org. It''s most certainly not the only one around. Clanlib and Allegro are both decent, but as i haven''t used either really, i can''t really say much more about them. I will say that SDL is very complete, and there is plenty of documentation for it. Best of all, it uses native acceleration properties of the OS, and it supports OpenGL. I reccomend it highly.

-benc

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!