Creating racing tracks similar to Podracer

Started by
2 comments, last by Julian Spillane 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi there, I'm thinking of creating a racing game using a series of tunnels, flats, chutes and such, similar to the tracks in the Starwars Podracer game, and would like to know how these type of games build their racing tracks. There might be several ways to approach this, but I'm looking for the easiest in terms of creating the map. Do they create the tracks wholly inside a 3D modeller? Do they assemble pieces after they're created in the modeller? Do I generate terrain using a heightmap and add pieces on top? How do the physics get tied in. Those are some questions I have. I hope someone knows something about this. Thanks. -Marv
-=~''^''~=-.,_Wicked_,.-=~''^''~=-
Advertisement
In your situation, the easiest method would be to model the entire track in a modeling program, and then if you decide to use something like an octree for rendering, break it into chunks procedurally. To tie it in with a physics engine or your own code, you just take the polygon soup that is the result of your exported file and feed that data into whatever you're using to handle physical collisions (assuming you have a library already made or are using a commercial one).

Again, it's all dependent on the way you have organized your engine and the way you have things structured. Otherwise I can just give my opinion.

If you need any other help, don't hesitate to ask.
Hey Julian, thanks, I think that's a good idea. I will try to get that working.
-=~''^''~=-.,_Wicked_,.-=~''^''~=-
You're welcome! Hope you have luck with that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement