Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Started by
19 comments, last by Newb4ever 23 years, 4 months ago
I find that when I post something that is obviously a newbie question, I get one response if I''m lucky. What you need to do is disguise your newbie questions. It''s also kind of fun. By sounding intellectually sound, you put across a good impression, and then you can ask the extremely newbie questions later. But, to be totally honest, it works in theory, but in practice, I''m not having much success. I now realize how stupid this response is, but I''m gonna POST IT ANYWAY!! Bwahahaha!! *Dr. Evil laugh*

The Shaz

"You''ve got two halves of coconuts and your bangin'' ''em together!!" -Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Optimism is not a state of mind, but a form of life!SuperNova Games
Advertisement
Yeah when I first started out that worked for me too. I would have a book next to me to make sure I got all the terms right, and sounded professional!!

Maketty
(Matthew FitzGerald)
Knightvision Games
The meaning of Life part 5:
Live organ transplants...

Edited by - maketty on November 30, 2000 1:08:44 AM
Maketty (Matthew FitzGerald) The meaning of Life part 5:Live organ transplants...
Don''t let some noisy people discourage your Newb4ever. You''ll always find some people who''ll want to annoy you just for the pleasure of it. _Most_ "newbie bashers" are newbies themselves who just don''t want to look like one.

The more "technically advanced bashers" forgot that they were newbies too and will give you the old "When I started programming, there was nobody to tell me what to do. Just do a research on the web". Well here is the description of the GDNet Lounge :
"Chat about anything you feel like. It does not have to be about game development, but it should be about something; i.e. don''t post JUST to post. Also the place for newbies to post." See that last sentence? I assume this means that newbie posts are allowed.

I know I''m not going to make friends with this, especially with the AP plaguing this place, but I don''t care.
quote:Original post by MuteAngel
The more "technically advanced bashers" forgot that they were newbies too and will give you the old "When I started programming, there was nobody to tell me what to do.

I never forget that I was a newbie once. But I did what many newbies I tend to ignore fail to do: Read. Read books, read web pages, read anything remotely related to what I''m passionate about (in this case, programming games).

Passion implies determination. Determination implies self-guidance. Self-guidance usually results in few questions; the questions that do arise tend to be insightful and provocative.

Good newbies listen first. Bad newbies open their yap before a coherent thought forms and spew out random garbage that makes sense in a surreal sort of way.

Most bad newbies post crap like this, saying, "You were once like me! Teach me everything you know!"

You are nothing like me. Don''t presume a level of ability that you can never aspire to with that attitude.

MSN
Alright msn12b. Ignoring newbies is your right and I never claimed you *should* help them. I just dislike flamers, especialy (sp?) AP ones. And I agree 100% with you on passion and determination.
However, remember that because you did something doesn''t mean it was the best solution. Yes, you''re probably a good programmer now, but maybe you''d be even better if you''d had people to _help_ you at the beginning (this is a pure assumption as I don''t have any clue about your background).

I''m not saying that starters shouldn''t try to learn by themselves as that''s the natural process of learning. But having someone to help when starting isn''t going to hurt them. After all, that''s the way school works.

Finally, most newbies are young and don''t have a credit card. Some can''t find good books in their area. So books _are_ great, but not always a possible answer.

Just my 0.02$.
quote:Original post by MuteAngel

I''m not saying that starters shouldn''t try to learn by themselves as that''s the natural process of learning. But having someone to help when starting isn''t going to hurt them. After all, that''s the way school works.

Totally true, but in school you have people who dedicate their entire day to teaching you all this stuff. Most of us here aren''t able to spend 8 hours a day posting replies to newbie questions

If I were to give newbies just one piece of advice, it would be "take programming classes". Nobody can teach you how to program on a medium as limited as a message board, so when you come here, you should have already done enough research to be able to ask a more specific question than, for example, "How do I write a 3D engine?" (I''m working on a tutorial for that, BTW )

If you can''t take classes, read books. I''ve never seen a library that didn''t at least have some programming books. It doesn''t matter if they''re five years old, because the programming language you''re using is even older than that anyway.
Tom Nuydens delphi3d@gamedeveloper.org www.gamedeveloper.org/delphi3d
All the arguments, flame wars and newbie-bashing would be avoided if people just showed a little tolerance. If a post annoys you, ignore it and move on to the next one. If you are so insensed by it that you can''t ignore it, try responding without yelling abuse at the poster.

My experiences of this board have all been good so far. I''ve been programming for years but have only just started learning C++/DirectX, so I''m a semi-newbie. All my posts have been met with courteous and helpful answers. However, I do try to solve problems myself before posting, although it is tempting to post as soon as you get stuck.

Newbies should spend time reading and learning from the hundreds of tutorials and samples out there before posting. Those with more experience should try to be more understanding of the newbies and, if they consider a post "too newbieish", just move on to a post more suited to them.

Thats just was I was going to say Moot...

To add to it though You''ve probably read my posts in the topic that kicked all this off.. If u haven''t go read it... At least one of the "flamers" on that topic had the decency to appologise and admit his behaviour was out of order (unlike some of the others).. I do think newb''s question was poorly phrased and worded, and wasnt the best in the world.. but whos is???

Personally I think a seperate notice board should be set up for the newbies.. so they can come on and get some basic pointers from people who want to help the complete novices, and leave this board (and others) for slightly more knowledgable ppl.. That way people who hate totally newbie question dont even have to look at them, and the newbies get the help they need without being ripped to shreads just becase someone didnt like the way they posted....

Another point though...

What makes me "Laugh" is ppl who respond to the statement "You were once like me" with "No I b*****y well was not".. Excuse me.. DUH HELLO.. there was a time when we could have put you in front of a computer and said "Write me a Pacman clone" and you would not have had A CLUE what to do.. Exactly like the ppl who make those statements, However unlike those people you probably would have gone off and found several books and read them.. But in most cases its the lack of programming knowledge the newbies are refering to.. not your method of getting information on it!! NO-ONE is born knowing how to code NO-ONE!

As Newb4ever said he had tried to learn other ways, but had had no sucess... which is why he posted (ok his post wasn''t the greatest in the world, and was poorly worded [no offence ment newb, but it was.. its better to ask simple questions.. rather then say Give me all the info u have now])
NightWraith
Selkrank: He never said that, reread his post .

Newb4ever: You shouldn''t stick to QBasic, it can''t do nearly as much as any pseudo-developed language. Try learning C/C++, Delphi, or if you must VB (sorry I''m not a fan of VB), after you''re done with QB, or just skip it and go to one of the above languages .

Maketty: I don''t wholly disagree with what you''re saying, I think he has become rather bias against you, and you against he. Arguing is no longer constructive between the two of you .

Shazer: Your post looks more intelligent than most of the other people''s that I have seen on this board, so you''re not failing in your attempts by all that much .

Msn12b: I largely agree with what you''re saying, I read books for 4 years before I really started bothering people to help me with HTML/Basic/C/C++/Java/java-script/VB/x86 ASM/z80 ASM or any other language that I have picked up (HTML is only kind of a [scripting] language, but should Basic really be considered a language? I learned it after C++, so I never really liked it ).

Moot: Yes, I partially agree with you, constructive critism can''t hurt Newb4ever, but any can just ignore this post if all they''ll do is flame it or anyone taking part in it.

http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/
quote:Original post by Null and Void

Selkrank: He never said that, reread his post .

Umm... he says that newbies should not expect their questions to be answered by "people with more knowledge", ie. they shouldn''t be "leeching" information from us 1337 "pros." Do you really think everyone should learn just on their own, without asking help from people who have learned it already? I understand if he refers to questions like "HELP ME MAKE GUAGE3!!!!11111"

I deleted my previous post, because I''m not sure if I understood Magmai''s post correctly.

-Jussi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement