a "good" modelling format to use..

Started by
11 comments, last by Hexed 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi, Just trying to decide which model format to use in my OpenGL engine and just need some feedback on what format is more popular for a beginner type application. I'm narrowing down between 3DS, OBJ and ASE but wouldn't reject other model format suggestions as long as there's a way to load them up into an engine but also be semi-usefull. It doesn't need to support keyframe animations, but should contain texture information and all the other normal good stuff.. I'm debating adding MD2 support, but it's not a real requirement right now. thanks in advance!
Advertisement
OBJ files would be the best to start out with then move onto ASE. its a small stepping stone. after you have mastered those two move onto loading 3DS models. those are probably the three most popular model formats (besides quake3's md3).
look at collada supported by sony + the makers of maya + 3dmax its a xml format thus easy to parse understand
Quote:Original post by adam17
OBJ files would be the best to start out with then move onto ASE. its a small stepping stone. after you have mastered those two move onto loading 3DS models. those are probably the three most popular model formats (besides quake3's md3).

Thanks adam17. After doing some research I ended up with pretty much the same conclusion.

@zedzeek: Nice demo page, and thanks for the collada suggestion. I'll definitely keep an eye on that.
Allow me suggest Softimage dotXSI file format. It has an easy to use File Toolkit in order to parse the files.

Luck!
Guimo
You might want to check out libase... it's incredibly easy to use, and supports everything (except animation)... I tried it out the other day and within about 10 minutes had a model on screen.

No documentation, but looking at the header file it's easy to figure out.

scene = ASE_loadFilename( "data/zombie.ase" );	int facecount = scene[0].objs[0].mesh.faceCount;	ASE_Face *faces = scene[0].objs[0].mesh.faces;	ASE_Vector3D *verts = scene[0].objs[0].mesh.vertices;	ASE_Vector3D *texcoords = scene[0].objs[0].mesh.texture_coordinates;

and then you have all the verts/indicies to play with.

http://interreality.org/projects/libase

Like I said, it doesn't support animation but it's still really easy to use.
Quote:Original post by Luke Philpot
You might want to check out libase... it's incredibly easy to use, and supports everything (except animation)... I tried it out the other day and within about 10 minutes had a model on screen.

http://interreality.org/projects/libase

Like I said, it doesn't support animation but it's still really easy to use.

wow..thanks Luke, that DOES really look easy to load and use ASE files. much appreciated.

Well does anyone recommend any formats that do support animation? I will definately need that in the near future.
that all depends on what kind of animation you want to support, full skeletal animation or will simple keyframe animation do you?
I won't rule out possibility of using skeletal animation in the future, but keyframe for simplicity.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement