Language?

Started by
9 comments, last by programwizard 18 years, 9 months ago
Hello! Im pritty new to gamedevelopment and I wanna make my own 2d game. My question is , what language is best to make an 2d game in , Visual Basic or Blitz Basic? My thought is to make this 2d game to a mmorpg game. If you got oder proposal on language, please tell me. Thanks Jepalano
Advertisement
C++ seems to more or less the de facto standard for advanced/serious game development. As a beginner, I've never used Blitz Basic so can't compare the two... However, I have used Visual Basic and played with 2D. I personally find the Visual Basic syntax easy to use - although I don't like it as much as C - and it was pretty easy to use the 2D stuff, nothing too complicated (but then, there shouldn't be).
[TheUnbeliever]
It's probably a good idea to avoid Visual Basic 6 at any cost. So if you can't get VisualBasic.NET, go for Blitz. If you can get VB.NET, use that instead.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Building an MMO isn't easy, but that aside, you'll find out soon enough about that.

My personal choice of language shifted from C++ to C#. C# is a rather new language, and you can get as much speed from it as you can in C++(C# has around 97% the speed of C++, and squeezing out that last 3% takes the best programmers in C++)

C# is easy(No difficult stuff such as pointers) to use, simple to learn and is gaining in popularity amongst game developers. Also, using DirectX under C# is hell of alot easier than under C++.

I suggest you go with C#, but as you'll find out soon enough, everyone on these boards have different ideas. Some suggest BlitzBasic, others C++, more other say Python is the way to go, and I'm one of them that says C#. Do a little research on all the languages, and pick one yourself. After you made a choice, stick to it.

If you would decide to go with C/C++, I suggest to DO go with C#, it's alot easier.

Toolmaker

Okey, my language chooice is made, C#.

Now I just got a new question, in what program should I code C#?

Thanks
Jepalano
Is C++ the best one?
You have to specify what you mean with "best", the best language is Assembler if it's about maximun control over the computer, but if it's up to fast&easy development Assembler is one of the worst languages.

C# is a nice language but I gave up learning it after a few pages in my C# book, it was just, too boring reading something about how loops are working etc.
And today I don't have the time to learn a new language and so I'm using C++ (and I think I like C++, but it takes a lot of time developing in C++).
Python and Pygame would be good. Visual Basic is easy to understand if you play around with it for a little bit. I have never used Blitz, so I can't say much about it.
I think C is one of the best languages out there. It's slightly easier to use and understand than Cpp, and it offers you a lot of control over your programs with low level features like pointers. As for Blitz, I have heard that all of those game languages aren't even close to "real" programming. That's just what I've heard though; I've never actually looked at it myself.
P.S. to ext: Sorry to correct you, but the language is called "Assembly". An "Assembler" is what you use to turn your Assembly code into an .exe (same as a compiler).
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Quote:Original post by programwizard
P.S. to ext: Sorry to correct you, but the language is called "Assembly". An "Assembler" is what you use to turn your Assembly code into an .exe (same as a compiler).

Yes you're right, I've written Assembler because in German the Assembly language is called Assembler.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement