finding sound effects

Started by
2 comments, last by Kenbar 18 years, 9 months ago
hi friends I'm working on a small game, I've worked a lot on graphical aspects and now I want to increase the attraction by taking use of sounds and musics, I have a binocular (something like IGI) which is able to zoom in and out into the scene, where can I find good sounds for this processes (i.e. zooming), also how can find some great sound effects, such as explosion, wind (or even storm!) sounds, and even soft musics (for use in menus and even in the gameplay). thanks in advance www.galaxyroad.com
Visit galaxyroad.com which soon will have english contents too
Advertisement
Google for "royalty free sound effects" and you'll find references to various libraries. Most are for sale; some are free (although the free ones are kind-of sucky quality).

Another option is to advertize your need for a sound designer contributor in the Help Wanted section of this web site.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
*cough*SFX & Music Resources*cough*

You'll generally get better sounds if you're willing to pay, although you can sometimes get them quite cheap. There's also plenty of free resources listed in that thread you can look through if you don't have the money, but just make sure you check the licencing on any sound you decide to use.

- Jason Astle-Adams

For the zooming sound, source or record a high pitched servo motor sound; you may need to speed up a lower pitched servo and do a bit of EQ.

You'll need a quick attack (the motor spinning up over 200ms), then a sustaining loop to last the duration of the zoom, and a quick release (motor spinning down) for when you stop zooming.

It might sound better if you crossfade slightly between your 3 samples. If you don't have a decent decay sound you may have to fake it by getting creative with pitchbend…

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement