My name is ________

Started by
3 comments, last by MatrixCubed 23 years, 4 months ago
This is a question targetted at online RPG players... what''s your particular attitude toward being able to see complete strangers'' names ingame? (Note that I mean the name that appears above the character''s head as you approach or use a "Show Names" command.) I''m thinking of letting the server decide (and cascade this down to the player) as follows: Value Result (1) All "introduced" characters are stored, otherwise names are never shown (2) No names are shown at all (3) All names are shown as normal A player may locally set a value that is less than what the server has set... so if the server has set 1 as the "introduction" factor, then players can set 2 or 3 locally which overrides. Maybe let the server restrict this so players MUST resort to server settings. Note: An "introduction" includes if you specifically target someone and use some form of (planned) introduction command. As well, it also includes anytime a character introduces himself to anyone within earshot. I know for certain that storing such things as above is a bugger to do, so I''m thinking of ways to "recycle" introductions so you don''t have to remember people from the time you are 16 in the game, ''til the time you die. Maybe include a planned "frequency of acquaintance", which degrades dependent on the character''s intelligence (as well if the character has a natural "I never forget faces" trait). Comments? MatrixCubed
http://www.MatrixCubed.org
Advertisement
That's a very brilliant idea, very innovative, and it mimics the real world, or at least mimics how we humans act (not everything is suppossed to mimic the real world, just enough to give us some semblance sometimes, though, so we can relate to the game)

good job, man!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have no name that you may call me. I am merely Succinct.
~Succinct Demos Online~
"Hey, where'd that display list rotate off to now?"
-(Drop me a line here)-

Edited by - Succinct on November 29, 2000 7:51:54 PM
-- Succinct(Don't listen to me)
I like your idea, but I have a couple of thoughts...

If the player recognized a character in the game, then the players character should also. I''d make sure this is always true. In other words, nothing like... "Sorry buddy, but I can''t help you out because the server forgot we know each other." It doesn''t sound like you intend to let this happen, but be careful...it could really piss off players.

Also, it should be possible to recognize other players you have seen but not been introduced to. For example, "Officer! Officer! A man wearing a brown hat and green pants just stole all of my money!" Uhm... well, gee, I''ve seen a lot of people wearing a brown hat and green pants. In this case, it''s probably better to mention KeWl DoOdZ''s name when describing him to the police. Better yet, you''d like to instead add, "... and he had a nasty scar on his forehead and a sharp, pointy nose!" What I''m getting at here is allowing each player to completely customize their characters face, hands, chest, feet, etc... by supplying or drawing pictures, realizing that it complicates things a lot and uses up server resources. I''m an idealist, though, so maybe I''m getting ahead of myself.

Just my two cents...
Hmm well what you''re suggesting is a little different than what I propose. My idea is to eliminate the auto-recognition-by-name irrealism in current games, whereas you''re talking about recognizing someone by appearance. That''s fine, except that there will be ways to change appearance as well (clothing, hairstyles, possibly even build over time), so the only real way to identify someone is by face (or dental records )... since my game is not that detailed, I''m going to have to fudge it somehow, and let it go at names and introductions until I come up with a reasonable solution.

How many times have you gone to a social gathering where you''re introduced to someone there, and you forget their name within a short period of time, and have to reinforce that knowledge by asking, "Your name is so-and-so, correct?" halfway through a conversation? It''s mostly long- and short-term memory effects, which I don''t think I will tackle this time around.

MatrixCubed
http://www.MatrixCubed.org
I like your idea =o)
Actually, when I forget someone''s name, I just talk to them without mentioning their name until I can either remember it or reference it from another friend. Not that I''m saying that that would be a good game idea, just that that''s what I do =o)

This:
"Really? That''s wierd."

As opposed to this:
"Really, Bob? That''s wierd, Bob."
[email=erydo@gdnmail.net" style="color: #ff0000; text-decoration:none; cursor:help;](o= erydo =o)[/email]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement