Working on a new project...what should I use?

Started by
4 comments, last by WandererWillow 18 years, 9 months ago
Im wondering how I can use something like the IrrLicht engine to make an FPS? What editor does everyone suggest I should use? Would I be able to craft maps with a program such as worldcraft or something like it? Im mainly just asking for suggestions because it's going to be my first time doing something like this, so Im wanting to use the best tools possible. I have made maps specifically for games (like worldcraft with half-life) so I am used to creating levels, and I also have the OK to use a few modeled weapons from people from different games (so I have a few models to start with for weapons). I know its alot to be asking, and it may be confusing, but thats what Im looking for.
Advertisement
Also, I am thinking of using Newton for the physics engine.
Alright, after reading over that a few times, Im going to try to rewrite what I wanted to say:

I am wanting to work on an FPS, and I have enough help to code it so the coding isn't a problem...maybe...I hope...

I am using the Irrlicht engine, but I don't know what type of IDE or Editor works best with that (preferably one that doesnt use very much coding if possible).

I have alot of textures (.wad files) and prefabs for the levels I previously created for half-life. I work with worldcraft, and Im wondering if its possible to use those maps through worldcraft and put them into the new FPS.

I have a few models for weapons, but none for any characters. I'm curious as to where I can find these, to include some animation.

I plan on using the Newton Engine for the physics, collision detection, and vehicle physics of the game. Any suggestions?

I hope I made this easier to understand.
Out of curiosity, are you going to be using skeletal animation or reference poses?

Mike C.
http://www.coolgroups.com/zoomer/

Quote:Original post by WandererWillow
Alright, after reading over that a few times, Im going to try to rewrite what I wanted to say:

I am wanting to work on an FPS, and I have enough help to code it so the coding isn't a problem...maybe...I hope...

I am using the Irrlicht engine, but I don't know what type of IDE or Editor works best with that (preferably one that doesnt use very much coding if possible).

I have alot of textures (.wad files) and prefabs for the levels I previously created for half-life. I work with worldcraft, and Im wondering if its possible to use those maps through worldcraft and put them into the new FPS.

I have a few models for weapons, but none for any characters. I'm curious as to where I can find these, to include some animation.

I plan on using the Newton Engine for the physics, collision detection, and vehicle physics of the game. Any suggestions?

Mike C.http://www.coolgroups.com/zoomer/http://www.coolgroups.com/ez/
You can find models here. I don't know if you will be able to use them though, I think they were made for 3d Game Studio.

hope I helped

printf("C++ 4 Lifen");

I'm a GL guy.
Sadly enough, this is my first time working fully with everything involved in creating a game, not just parts. What do you suggest?

Quote:Original post by mike74
Out of curiosity, are you going to be using skeletal animation or reference poses?

Mike C.
http://www.coolgroups.com/zoomer/

Quote:Original post by WandererWillow

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement