Sign in to follow this  
Toolmaker

[.net] Desing issue with own control, any ideas?

I'm posting to hear what everyone else has to say on this, because I'm not sure how to solve this problem. Asking around might shed some light on my problem :) I'm building my own custom control right now, which looks a bit like this: . I got a basic control layout done right now, which shows the top-level buttons. However, I currently draw everything myself, in the OnPaint() of the control. However, this poses some problems, esp. with mouse-enter/exit messages. I'm not sure how to design it further. I have thought about changing it to display buttons instead of self-drawn stuff, but that poses me a little problem with the "collapsed" view. How would I design that? Because it would either mean the button control can collapse itself, or would replace it's own instance with a new one. Ideas? Toolmaker

First, nice control. I just finished my own fully custom control, it's fun stuff.

Anyway, what is behind this control? Is it directly inheriting Control, or something else? What do you mean about having troule with mouse enter/exit? You don't know where the mouse is hovering over? For simplicity, are the child menus actually seperate controls contained in the parent menu? That would simplify any mouse calculations a good bit.

If you make it a little more clear where your difficulty is I'll try to help more. I just finished writing the base GUI system for my 4e4, so I'm ready!

I'm deriving this directly from Control. I've thought about the idea of making each menu item a seperate sub-control. When clicked, it collapses and shows a child-panel.

That probably works better.

Toolmaker