• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jharkey

DX & Quest for Glory 5, Dragon Fire

This topic is 6501 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello, i was playing qfg5, and i couldn''t figure something out. to me it seems like they use the win32 cursor, list boxes, and owner drawn buttons, all in dx(version 5 or 6 i think). i thought that with dinut, you could not display the system cursor. am i wrong? and about the other things, is there a way to display buttons, list boxes, and other win32 controls on a ddraw surface? or did they just implement their own gui that looks just like the win32 gui? i tried to use CreateWindowEx() to make a button, but it didn''t work, am i doing something wrong? just wondering.

Advertisement
I've played the game but can't recall the gui being similar to that of Windows (it probably didn't click in).

As for using Windows controls in DX, I don't think you can, and if you can, I'm sure it's a pain in the butt.

Anyways, they probably implemented their own GUI to look similiar to that of Windows, it's not really that hard. All you need is a few nice bitmaps, a nice little implementation and voila!

That's just what I think though...

ZaneX

Edited by - ZaneX on December 1, 2000 10:00:39 AM

Ok, you really shouldn''t think too much further on the subject, but it''s possible to get an Win32 common control to display itself on anything that you can a device context too. Actually any window whose WinProc function processes the WM_PRINTCLIENT message can do this. And since you can get a device context to a DirectX surface, you can get a common control to dump it''s visual on the surface. You''d probably have to trap the input and feed it to the message handlers manually though. I''m getting a headache just thinking about it.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!