Basic Encryption?

Started by
13 comments, last by wildhalcyon 18 years, 9 months ago
I was wondering if someone could explain a little bit how to do basic encryption. I checked throught the article's here at GameDev but only found one article, and it was in VB so I really didn't understand it. I am programming in C++.
True God of the TribunalKelchargeMy SiteMy Ugly Forums
Advertisement
TEA is easy to implement and from what Ive read its very secure. You can also make it very fast by unwinding the loop. Just click that link and you should find a lot of info on it (including C++ implementations).
Encryption Lessons
Err sorry that didn't work. Encryption Lessons
Quote:Original post by mike25025
TEA is easy to implement and from what Ive read its very secure. You can also make it very fast by unwinding the loop. Just click that link and you should find a lot of info on it (including C++ implementations).

This thread has a few implementations as well to take a look into for TEA.
http://www.und.edu/org/crypto/crypto/lanaki.crypt.class/lessons/
I am sorry but I don't seem to understand any of that. What I meant by my first post was how would I effectively code my own form of encryption. I get the concepts but not how to code it.
True God of the TribunalKelchargeMy SiteMy Ugly Forums
Sorry, but rule number one about effectively implementing encryption in software is not to roll your own. Seriously consider using a pre existing encryption library.
Quote:Original post by kelcharge
I am sorry but I don't seem to understand any of that. What I meant by my first post was how would I effectively code my own form of encryption. I get the concepts but not how to code it.

Basic example of encryption:
char someInputString[] = "Hello world!";int key = 35;for(int i=0; i<strlen(someInputString); i++){ cout << char((int)someInputString^key);}cout << endl;

Quote:Original post by SiCrane
Sorry, but rule number one about effectively implementing encryption in software is not to roll your own. Seriously consider using a pre existing encryption library.

Agreed, especially if you having problems such as figuring out the basic concepts of implementing it.
Quote:Original post by DevLiquidKnight
Quote:Original post by kelcharge

Basic example of encryption:
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

That method is not good. It can be broken in a couple of minutes. For basic XOR encryption you need a large key an possibly a changing key.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement