Basic Encryption?

Started by
13 comments, last by wildhalcyon 18 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by mike25025
That method is not good. It can be broken in a couple of minutes. For basic XOR encryption you need a large key an possibly a changing key.

Thats why I said basic example of encryption, if I was going to post something like RSA it would be a bit large.
Advertisement
I was simply pointing out that it was not secure so that the OP or another reader would not use it thinking it was secure. Sorry if I offended you.
Quote:Original post by mike25025
I was simply pointing out that it was not secure so that the OP or another reader would not use it thinking it was secure. Sorry if I offended you.

Not offended, I was just pointing out that if is having trouble seeing how encryption worked a simple concept would do best in showing how it works.

All simple concepts can be broken quite quickly, no single encryption method is enough now of days, I think its best to combine a few.
DevLiquidKnight: Thank you for showing me a simple code snippet for making encryption. :)
True God of the TribunalKelchargeMy SiteMy Ugly Forums
If you're really serious about that, I suggest you take a look at "The Code Book" by Simon Singh. It's kind of a historical look at cryptography. It's low-level math, which might be good for someone unfamiliar with some of the number theory involved in higher level crptography (i.e. RSA).
If you actually need it to be secure, there are some US standards for secure cryptography. If it's for a game, and it's not really meant to withstand a serious attack or set of attacks, you could probably implement your own (more secure) version of the enigma machine with the ideas from the book.

Again, just to be clear:

Serious security - check some US standards, do NOT design your own algorithm

Game 'security' (not necessarily that secure) - feel free to design your own, check the book for some ideas.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement