Sign in to follow this  
Zimbo

As sound programmer, what do you do?

Hi all, I notice that sound programmer is not popular as other disciplines in area like graphics, gameplay, AI, etc. But I really want to know what does it take to become a sound programmer. - What is the expectation for this job? - What do you need to know and learn? Anything that can point me to the right direction (books, tutorials, any resources), I would really appreciate it. Btw, don't bother pointing out the article about sounds on gamedev. Already read it. Please enlighten me.

Guest Anonymous Poster
- What do you need to know and learn?

In depth knowlegde of sound design. And lots, lots, lots of music experience. In short, you must know how sounds work on the human mind. Did I mention experience?

This is Marmin posting but I post from a different computer . sorry.)

• As an audio programmer, you have to have a good understanding of the physics of sound.
  • Familiarity with one or more audio APIs (DSound and OpenAL, for example) is helpful.
  • You might be processing audio for the game, so you should be familiar with audio editing and processing tools.
  • Audio generally involves multiple threads, so you should be familiar with multithreaded programming.
  • You might be writing tools, so knowledge of file formats and how to make tools are useful.