Sign in to follow this  
moussen15

Calling Pure virtual methods from destructor?

why can't I do this?: class myInterface { public: virtual ~myInterface(){doYourThing();} virtual void doYourThing() = 0; }; It should be possible seeing as all the instances (ie subclass-instances) of this interface should have been required to supply an implementation for doYourThing. Thus there is absolutely no risk that it might still be virtual when the call is made. Yet I get this error message: myfilename.cpp: In destructor 'virtual myInterface::~myInterface(): myfilename.cpp:6: error: abstract virtual 'virtual void myInterface::doYourThing()' I am using g++. Thank you for your enlightening me :)

The derived classes will have been destroyed by the time the function is called, so it just resolves to the classes own implementation. [smile]

When a base class' destructor is called, the destructors for all derived classes have been called. You can think of it like this: at that point the type of the class is no longer the type of the derived type, it's the type of the base class, and the base class doesn't implement doYourThing() so you have a problem.

The reason for this behavior is that because the destructors for all the derived classes have been called, the member variables that the derived classes defined have also heen destroyed, so a virtual member function of the derived class should not be called since it may depend on a variable that has been destroyed.