I switched the character set to unicode and now I have some compile errors

Started by
13 comments, last by Colin Jeanne 18 years, 9 months ago
I am using DXUT from the sdk samples. c++, DXUT requires the character set to be set to unicode but now everywhare i have a MessageBox() the 2nd arguement is just a string literal. it returns the error that it cant convert const char [x] to LPCWSTR. any ideas. I am going to try to just typecast it.
These tears..leave scars...as they run down my face.
Advertisement
Wrap your string literals with _T(). As in _T("I'm a string literal"). This will define the strings to be narrow when you build the app as a narrow character mode and wide when the app is build wide. Alternately you can just add the L prefix, but that changes the literal to be wide all the time.
What does narrow and wide mean?
Narrow means normal chars. Wide means wchar_t.
do i need to source any libs for that to work? it doesn't seem to recognize _T()
Try including tchar.h.
thank you very much, you have been very helpful. Whare can i go to learn more in depth about how all this works?

what is unicode? and how is it related to tchars and such?

So its probably a good idea to always use _T() with string literals then?

thanks
One place to start is the Internationalization section on MSDN for how the Microsoft runtime handles narrow and wide character conversions. TCHAR is a MS convention. The TCHAR type is equal to a char normally and wchar_t when UNICODE is defined.

Unicode is a character set mapping that tries to get all the symbols used by all the languages in the world into the same mapping. That way a single data type can be used to represent, for example, English, German and Japanese all in the same program. However, you can't fit all that information in a normal char, which is usually 8 bits and so can only hold 256 numbers. The original version of unicode used 16 bits; the current version uses 21 bits.

Using the _T convention on your strings makes the code easier to port to a unicode version, but hurts portability in general since many compilers don't provide an equivalent to tchar.h.
thanks for all the help, I have one more question. is ther a way to get the LPCWSTR out of the stringw class. is ther a member function like the the c_str() function only a c_strw() funcion hehe.
You should just be able to use the c_str() member function. ex:
  std::wstring wstr(L"Wide String");    LPCWSTR ptr = wstr.c_str();

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement