Polymesh and... boxes :) (demo inside)

Started by
12 comments, last by b34r 18 years, 9 months ago
I found one problematic place indeed, in the big room on the boat (is that the cabin?). I'll check that tomorrow. Thanks :)
Praise the alternative.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by b34r
Well, if you are like me you will never get there! There's always something new to start :)...

hehe thats true. maybe I'll start optimizing if(when) the fps get too low. at moment there aren't more than just a few objects in each schene, just to test a new constraint or collisions primitive.
Quote:Original post by b34r
Stuck in the cabin?

Yes - I noticed this in the big cabin (not the one where the captain would stand :). Not really quite worked out when it happens... but it can happen when you're just shooting at a big patch of wall (i.e. not towards a hole etc).

I also noticed that you can get bad collision directions - fire a box at an angle against the side of the ship, and in some cases it comes bouncing back towards you, presumably because it hits a polygon edge. If you sort the collisions by depth (at least between pairs of objects) this problem can be reduced.

Possibly the problem with swept tests and your implementation is that you only respond to the collision after moving the object (I think... may be muddled :) so the algorithm allows penetration to happen, and that is bad with triangle meshes. Processing the collisions before the position update generally results in no (or little - can get bad results in corners) penetration at the end of the step, which is a Good Thing, because collisions are effectively predicted. The bad thing is that objects stop before they hit, which can look odd, especially for supposedly inelastic collisions.

I mentioned before that I had a solution to that. The idea is that the collision detection does a swept test and records (a) the contacts (as offsets relative to each object but in world space) and (b) the estimated penetration depth at that contact at the _start_ of the sweep, not the end. Then:

1. If you have two objects that are really overlapping, the penetration resolution code kicks in and applies impulses to separate them - it constrains the separating velocity to be >= (penetrationDepth * N * dt) where N is maybe 4 or 5.

2. If you have an object sitting "at rest" on a plane, whilst you detect collisions with the plane the penetration depth is 0, so no extra penetration-resolution gets done

3. Lets say all collisions are inelastic. Now, when a collision is detected, rather than constraining the separating velocity at each contact to be >= 0, you constrain it to be >= (penetrationDepth * dt), bearing in mind penetrationDepth is -ve. So, when a object (e.g. ball) is fired straight at a wall and about to hit it: (1) A collision is predicted, and the code calculates an impulse that will result in a normal velocity that places the ball _just_ touching the wall at the next time step (2) At the next timestep, normal inelastic collision occurs, and the ball stops dead, just touching the wall.

One nice thing about this is that exactly the same code is used for this predictive-collision impulse as is used for the penetration resolution, so there's not any extra cost. Oh, and the other nice thing is that it works :)

Quote:Original post by MrRowl
Yes - I noticed this in the big cabin (not the one where the captain would stand :). Not really quite worked out when it happens... but it can happen when you're just shooting at a big patch of wall (i.e. not towards a hole etc).

Okay, I was indeed testing in the captain's one :).

Quote:
I also noticed that you can get bad collision directions - fire a box at an angle against the side of the ship, and in some cases it comes bouncing back towards you, presumably because it hits a polygon edge. If you sort the collisions by depth (at least between pairs of objects) this problem can be reduced.

Yes, it is still a draft implementation and I planned to flag edges in order to exclude them from the axis selection when they belong to a quasi-plane or slightly convex curve. I'm not sure how it will work though...

Quote:
Possibly the problem with swept tests and your implementation is that you only respond to the collision after moving the object (I think... may be muddled :) so the algorithm allows penetration to happen, and that is bad with triangle meshes. Processing the collisions before the position update generally results in no (or little - can get bad results in corners) penetration at the end of the step, which is a Good Thing, because collisions are effectively predicted. The bad thing is that objects stop before they hit, which can look odd, especially for supposedly inelastic collisions.

Correct :) the good might outweight the bad on this one. (edit: I put back the timewarping scheme in and I can't seem to get crates stuck in the wall anymore.)

Quote:
I mentioned before that I had a solution to that. The idea is that the collision detection does a swept test and records (a) the contacts (as offsets relative to each object but in world space) and (b) the estimated penetration depth at that contact at the _start_ of the sweep, not the end. Then:

1. If you have two objects that are really overlapping, the penetration resolution code kicks in and applies impulses to separate them - it constrains the separating velocity to be >= (penetrationDepth * N * dt) where N is maybe 4 or 5.

2. If you have an object sitting "at rest" on a plane, whilst you detect collisions with the plane the penetration depth is 0, so no extra penetration-resolution gets done

3. Lets say all collisions are inelastic. Now, when a collision is detected, rather than constraining the separating velocity at each contact to be >= 0, you constrain it to be >= (penetrationDepth * dt), bearing in mind penetrationDepth is -ve. So, when a object (e.g. ball) is fired straight at a wall and about to hit it: (1) A collision is predicted, and the code calculates an impulse that will result in a normal velocity that places the ball _just_ touching the wall at the next time step (2) At the next timestep, normal inelastic collision occurs, and the ball stops dead, just touching the wall.

One nice thing about this is that exactly the same code is used for this predictive-collision impulse as is used for the penetration resolution, so there's not any extra cost. Oh, and the other nice thing is that it works :)

Sounds very good and clever! :) Makes sense. There's a bit of work to implement your system though... I'm not sure I'll undertake a remodeling of my solver until your next demo ;).
Praise the alternative.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement