Sign in to follow this  
caffeineaddict

Half-Life 2 modding question.

Hi, I hope this question fits within the guideliness of this forum. I downloaded the HL2 SDK, built it, and ran it in debug mode, but when I went to start a new game, there was nothing to do. No levels present etc. I'm unclear if when you create a Single player mod if it's supposed to have levels in it, or if it's just a shell that you need to add stuff to. I was under the impression that i'd have the levels from the game available so that I could test, add and change things. Any help's appreciated.

First of all, do you have HL2 ?, because if you downloaded it and have no game then you need the game itself.
But since i dont think thats possible, you probably have the game, in the source SDK woindow i thnik there's a wizard for making your mod.
You have 2 options, a mod and a full conversion, wich did you choose ?

Yes, I do own the game. I selected the "Modify Half-Life 2 Single Player" option. Everything built fine, but there were just no levels to select from under "New Game", though I was able to start a level using the console. I just wanted to make sure that you were in fact not supposed to have a list of levels in a mod. If you are, then something's wrong with how i've setup my code or something else. Thanks.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hi. I'm a total noob to hl2 modding and i was wondering if u could use Visual Studio 6.0 instead of Visual Studio.net. http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/images/icons/icon15.gif

It's possible, but it's harder to do. The SDK builds a Visual Studio .NET solution, but there are ways to get it into Visual Studio 6. Read this little bit of info and decide if you want to go ahead and try to get it working [smile].

Did you create a mod, or choose just to edit Half-Life 2?

If you created a mod, then you have to check your mapsrc directory for the map files. There shouldn't be any there by default.

But the commands are still there, and the commands will load the maps from the HL2 mapsrc directory.

Sorry if this was confusing.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Does any one on this forum know how to spawn a turret in a HL2 every time i go to spawn it, it craps its self i i used the command give npc_turret_floor and i dont know if theres any other command that would get the thing to work

Thanks Mr Black

first of all you have to make sure the entity is in the code base for your mod.

then go and put it in a map or do npc_create <entity> (i think)

(make sure you got the name of the entity right)

Guest Anonymous Poster
hey..i also i have a q about modding..im not looking foward to complete a whoel new hl mod, but and addon like metamod or something...do they have tutorials for this somewhere?