converting an int to a string

Started by
22 comments, last by MaulingMonkey 18 years, 9 months ago
is there any function to do this? i'd rather not have to write my own lol.
Charles Reed, CEO of CJWR Software LLC
Advertisement
Assuming C++, since that seems to be what you've used in your other posts, you can either use boost::lexical_cast or a std::stringstream.
std::stringstream sstr;sstr << my_int;std::string str1 = sstr.str();std::string str2 = boost::lexical_cast<std::string>(my_int);
sprintf works.

int sprintf( char *buffer, const char *format, ... );

like so
char buf[5]
int value = 5555;
sprintf(buf,"%i",value);
Quote:Original post by Gink
sprintf works.

int sprintf( char *buffer, const char *format, ... );

like so
char buf[5]
int value = 5555;
sprintf(buf,"%i",value);

If you're going to use C, you might as well use something like itoa.
If you care about portable code I highly recommend avoiding itoa(). It is severly non-standard. Not only is it not part of the C standard library, but in non-standard implementations I've seen at least five different function signatures for itoa(), with different memory management conventions:
char * itoa(int, char *, int); // you supply the bufferchar * itoa(int, int, char *); // you supply the bufferchar * itoa(int, char *);      // you supply the bufferchar * itoa(int, int);         // you need to free the pointerchar * itoa(int);              // you need to free the pointer
Quote:Original post by SiCrane
If you care about portable code I highly recommend avoiding itoa(). It is severly non-standard. Not only is it not part of the C standard library, but in non-standard implementations I've seen at least five different function signatures for itoa(), with different memory management conventions:
char * itoa(int, char *, int); // you supply the bufferchar * itoa(int, int, char *); // you supply the bufferchar * itoa(int, char *);      // you supply the bufferchar * itoa(int, int);         // you need to free the pointerchar * itoa(int);              // you need to free the pointer

Hmm, didn't know that. Nevermind, then.
alright, for anyone who cares about this at all, here is my little function to convert a int to a string. on vc++ 6, this works up to 999,999,999. It doesn't do any formating or anything, but all my tests show it works just fine. let me know if you see any problems with it.

string int_to_string(int num){	//cout << "number inputed = " << num << endl;	int num_size = 0; //holds the size of the number	string str; //holds the actual string we will return	//find out how large the number is	int temp = num/10; //used to find how large the number is	num_size++;	while(temp != 0){		temp = temp / 10;		num_size++;	}	//cout << "num size = " << num_size << endl;	int one_place = 0;	int div = 10; //holds the number num should be divided by	for(int i = 0; i < num_size-2; i++){		div = div * 10;	}	//cout << "div = " << div << endl << endl;		for(i = num_size; i > 0; i--){		one_place = num/div;		//add this number to the string		if(one_place == 1){			str = str + "1";		}		else if(one_place == 2){			str = str + "2";		}		else if(one_place == 3){			str = str + "3";		}		else if(one_place == 4){			str = str + "4";		}		else if(one_place == 5){			str = str + "5";		}		else if(one_place == 6){			str = str + "6";		}		else if(one_place == 7){			str = str + "7";		}		else if(one_place == 8){			str = str + "8";		}		else if(one_place == 9){			str = str + "9";		}		else{			str = str + "0";		}		//find what remains of the number		num = num - (div*one_place);		//set up div for the next pass		div = div / 10;		//output info (for testing only)		//cout << "This pass info" << endl;		//cout << "div = " << div << endl;		//cout << "num = " << num << endl;		//cout << "one_place = " << one_place << endl;	}	return str;}
Quote:Original post by CJWR
alright, for anyone who cares about this at all, here is my little function to convert a int to a string. on vc++ 6, this works up to 999,999,999. It doesn't do any formating or anything, but all my tests show it works just fine. let me know if you see any problems with it.

Well, it doesn't work with negative numbers, for starters. And, well, SiCrane told you how to do it, why not use what he said?
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Quote:Original post by Fruny
Quote:Original post by CJWR

Well, it doesn't work with negative numbers, for starters. And, well, SiCrane told you how to do it, why not use what he said?

i wanted to write my own lol, but the negative thing isn't a problem for what i need this for. but it is something to work on later. :)
Turn stuff into strings, free with your purchase of 1 or more immortality rings.

#include <sstream>#include <string>template <typename T> std::string toString(const T &value) {  std::stringstream stream;  stream << value;  return stream.str(); }
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement