windowless app

Started by
1 comment, last by Staffan E 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi guys, Bit of a question for you… have any of you out there implemented a “windowless” system running d3d. I’ve seen numerous implementations of windowless apps in win32/mfc gdi type environment but I would like to do an implementation within my d3d app, and im not 100% sure on a suitable way of implementing this. So if any of you guys have implemented this have you any pointers on how this is done within a d3d environment. BTW – my interpretation of a “windowless” app is something similar to how winamp/media player, where when a skin is applied you have areas of transparency. Thanks
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by yokel
BTW – my interpretation of a “windowless” app is something similar to how winamp/media player, where when a skin is applied you have areas of transparency.

Then what you want is not a windowless app.
To create a window without borders and no titlebar you should use the WS_POPUP style when creating your window.

I can't help you with window transparency.. I never did it myself.. I heard it has something to do with regions...
Transparent or blended windows are created by setting the WS_EX_LAYERED flag with CreateWindowEx( ), and then using SetLayeredWindowAttributes( ) to set its properties. I just tried doing so.

On a standrard non-DX window it worked fine; my window had a 70% opacity, blending with the background.

With a D3D application it wouldn't show at all, so I assume DX doesn't like layered windows.
Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement