• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mari_p

Executing an application automatically after O.S. initializes

This topic is 4847 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, How should I proceed to execute my application automatically after initializing O.S.? Thanks in advance

Advertisement
Answer 1: You shouldn't. What if your application freezes and the user can't get to anything else? Why does it need to pop up into the user's face the minute they turn their computer on?

Answer 2: Depends on the OS. In Linux/Unix, you want to be looking at the init scripts under /etc/init.d/, /etc/rc.d/ or somewhere around there. In Windows, I believe c:\autoexec.bat still works, and does basically the same thing. In OSX, I don't know, but I do know it has it's own init-ish system you can tinker with.

Quote:
Original post by Icefox
Answer 1: You shouldn't. What if your application freezes and the user can't get to anything else? Why does it need to pop up into the user's face the minute they turn their computer on?

Thanks for the answer.
I would like to use a computer in an "arcade machine" (sorry, I don't know the correct name in English - I mean machines like those from CAPCOM, SEGA etc). The computer would be used only for one application (just the O.S. and requirements for the application would be installed). So, if the application were well implemented, I believe that there would be little chance of freezing.

You could add it to the startup in the registry
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run
ex. - To add a file named C:\Folder\Start.exe and invoke it with c:\Folder\info.txt you would create a new string value, then modify it and write in C:\Folder\Start.exe C:\Folder\info.txt as the data value

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!