Sign in to follow this  
lodisx

Torrent available for directx 9 sdk?

Hello, I'm on dial-up and i understand that with that it's going to take a very long time to download the files, but the problem is my connection terminates before i can finish the sdk download no matter the isp i use.(gets to around 50ish mb.) Does anybody know of a site offering a torrent for the SDK?(so when my connection terminates i will be able to pick up the download from where i left off.)Or would anybody be able to make a torrent and link me to it? i have searched google to no avail, but maybe somebody can help me. Also i would use a different program like openGL or python, but all the books i have are on Directx... Thanks

Yes my books do have the sdk on it, but one is 6.1 version(only installs on 9x OS) and the other is 8.1...but doesn't work...its from "Programming role playing games with directx" by andre lamoth, i know its to advanced a book for my experience, but i got it for free. But the install 8.1 Sdk just doesnt work when i load it up. I've let it run trying to acess the disk for like an hour, still nothing.

I'll have to check out that get right program.

Just get a download manager like Go!Zilla , or get Programming Role-Playing Games in DirectX 2nd edition, it has 9.0 packaged with it.

Also, you say all the books you have are on DirectX. Why not learn OpenGL from the web? Start here and here . Or you could learn SDL, and use that instead (or with OpenGL).

Guest Anonymous Poster
What do you mean by the sdk won't work? I had a book cd once, and when I went to install it, it made a couple folders but didn't copy any files over. In the end I just browsed on the cd to where the sdk was then clicked & copied the sdk from the cd to my harddrive and made sure the folder layout were the same. After that ijust set the compiler includes / libs etc to the same right folders in the sdk, everything worked ok after that. By the way, even if that does work, still go for the latest sdk as well, - might as well be up to date.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Oberon_Command
Quote:
Original post by Rob Loach
I like a booleanism is needed here:

*** comic removed ***

I thought DirectX 9.0 was free...?

That doesn't give you the right to redistribute it. I bet that MS wouldn't give a crap if you did, but legally, you can't.

Hope this helps.

Quote:

It is, but the license prohibits redistribution, this is why Dev-C++ had to discontinue the devpack for it, only Microsoft can distribute the SDK, and bittorent is not one of the channels they use.

Quote:
Original post by Kwizatz
Quote:

It is, but the license prohibits redistribution, this is why Dev-C++ had to discontinue the devpack for it, only Microsoft can distribute the SDK, and bittorent is not one of the channels they use.

So THAT'S why that DevPack can't be found anymore... Can MinGW ports still be found, or are those considered piracy too, since they aren't made by Microsoft?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by matthughson
something like Get Right which allows you to do the same kind of things (pause, resume, etc) with regular downloads.

Opera!

Quote:
So THAT'S why that DevPack can't be found anymore... Can MinGW ports still be found, or are those considered piracy too, since they aren't made by Microsoft?

Download and Install the SDK, copy over the include directory or add -Ic:/path/to/your/DXSDK/include/directory to your compile options and read this to create lib.a files from the SDK .lib files that you can use with the -l flag for the linker (IE: -ld3d9).

OR you can just add the .lib files as if they were object files on the linking stage.

There is your legal port, just don't re-distribute [smile]