Code it yourself or use a Scene graph?

Started by
11 comments, last by sirGustav 18 years, 9 months ago
Hello everybody? I have a question to ask. I am really confused over coding my programs myself from scratch or using a Scene graph or game engine or graphic engine?! Does it worth to become master in one of the Scene graphs or it would be better to code everything yourself and have your own graphic engine, which does everything for you? Imagine you have 1 year, which one would you choose considering I have 3 years OpenGl experience (Hobby programmer). I want to enter professional world.
OpenGl + C++
Advertisement
If you want to be a professional developer then code it yourself. But there's no shame in using other people's engines to figure out how they designed things and how their code works. Its always best to learn from other people's mistakes rather than make your own when it comes to things like design and structure.
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
Quote:Original post by bargasteh
I am really confused over coding my programs myself from scratch or using a Scene graph or game engine or graphic engine?!
Does it worth to become master in one of the Scene graphs or it would be better to code everything yourself and have your own graphic engine, which does everything for you?

A good programmer is someone who can leverage existing assets. Use existing code if you can, and code something yourself if you must. This is how it works in the industry - time is money.

For learning purposes however, doing everything yourself is always a good idea, as it will give you the understanding and know-how you'll need later on.
Therfore you guys are suggesting that I choose a free graphic engine and then enhance it in order to fullfil my needs?
That sounds great.
What do you guys think about OGRE engine? any idea ?
Is it powerful enough to start with?
OpenGl + C++
I found Ogre to be somewhat confusing for a beginner programmer. If you're really just starting off try Truevision3d or Irrlicht. Their syntax and structure is a lot easier to understand.
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
Thank you for your recommendations, I have decided to do both, meaning develop my own scene graph (long term objective) and use or develop another scene graph along this process.
I am looking for good books about Scene graph or 3D engines, I am not specifically interested in game industry but I am more interested in more serious stuff.
Do you know any starting point to learn Scene graph, I kinds of know how it works but I need to know how to implement one.
Any suggestions?

OpenGl + C++
You can make use of gamedev's search engine (if it's available). There are plenty of threads about scene graph design and implementation. Here is an article explaining what a SG is; that's the best start point :) After you understand what it is you can start designing your own implementation.

If you are still interested in getting a book i recommend 3D Game Engine Design. Although it has lots of maths and theory, I love the scene graph design shown.
BTW you can ask whatever specific question about SGs.
YengaMatiC for the people[Pandora's Box project]
Something to clarify for you here. A game engine consists of a grpahics, physics, network, sound, etc engine. A scene graph is a part of graphic engine. It is a daata structure. If you know what your doing, it can be used to partition, such as BSP. For example, BSP is a pre-calculated data structure, by the BSP algorythm. Basically part of the partitioning has already been done before the game even starts. This has limitations though. You need a data structure for a graphics engine, but you don't need to partition. Although it is a very good idea.
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
OT: does anyone here know how good the scenegraph at scenegraph.org is?
Hi,

I like OpenSceneGraph
“Always programm as if the person who will be maintaining your program is a violent psychopath that knows where you live”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement