Absence Test Character Wip

Started by
19 comments, last by Pruvaloo 18 years, 8 months ago
Absence test character, a 'relatively' low poly guy, the final model will have a Victorian feel to it. 3036 tris at present, without optimisation. Needs hands and eyes lol, the line down the middle is simply where I've flipped the model and not yet welded the verts. Any comments or crits welcome. Cheers
Advertisement
It's looking great so far...

But FYI, if you use 3dsMax, there's a symmetry modifier in it that automatically welds the vertices for you.
Right, some more progress, played around with the arms a bit and added in some hands

cheers for the symmetry thing btw
Nice work. To add some constructive criticism, I would say that since you've done Low poly so well on the body, try to lower polys on the head as well. It hardly seems like he needs that many around his ears, a small area which will likely not be a focus during gameplay. Also, above the knees it looks like he isn't wearing pants, either that or they're very tight, which may be a style you're going for. This is quite noticeable from the back where he has defined butt cheeks. That may just be an aesthetic thing.

Again, it's cool overall. Keep us postd
Thanks for your comments :)

the whole ear area has been annying me for a while now, so i decided to scrap the lot and stick in a really low poly version....thats sorted out some of the problems, and saved me a hell of a lot of polys

well spotted about the pants thing too!! i hadnt noticed, but looking at it they did look really tight. theyre not meant to be baggy by any means, but they're not meant to be lycra either lol, loosened the upper pants out a bit, hopefully should look a bit better now

this is just me playing about with materials to gt an idea of how it will look when its finally textured, lots of black i know, im thinking maybe some pin-stripe grey for the trousers, should lighten it up a bit

anyway, heres the latest

Very good! I wish I could 3D model.

One thing: he doesn't really have shoulders. It makes him look kind of sickly.
Cant believe nobody mentioned this yet, but the back of the head should curve more. Other then that, good model so far.
Another aesthetic thing:
I think the face looks a bit strange. I would push the whole area around the chin a bit backwards, and make the lower jaw 'line' starting at the ear more distinct. That forward trend of the head reminds me a bit of an ape skull, because the forehead is so much 'behind' the area around the mouth. But I think moving everything beneath the nose a bit backward would remedy this.
Sry for my bad description, english isn´t my native language, though.... hope you did get what I mean.
Thanks for all your comments guys

@ Daniel Miller

Thanks man, yeah i guess the shoulders could be a bit more pronounced, i'll have a play around about that

@ d2king10

Hopefully fixed that, or lessened it to some extent. im still not 100% about the ears, so i may redo the head, think im gonna add a top hat too so the majority of the curved part will be hidden, we'll see how it goes

@ matches81

Dont worry man, i understand perfectly, and your english is good! :D he does look a bit ape-ish lol, again im not sure whether to try and fix this versin or whether to just start over on the whole head

i'll post up some more progress shots either later tonight or tomorrow

thanks for your comments once again!
Some sever problems stopped me from posting up any updates pics over the weekend, however everything seems to be working ok at the mo

Decided to re-start the head:

Dont worry too much about the roundness of the head, he's going to have a hat covering up most of it, so Im only really bothered about the face and forehead part.

I think maybe the mouth and cheekbone area needs to be moved back slighty, what do you guys think? Also there seems to be some funny shading on the bridge of the nose that needs to be sorted out.

Cheers guys

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement