Absence Test Character Wip

Started by
19 comments, last by Pruvaloo 18 years, 8 months ago
eyes seem to wide/big. The head should be 5 eye widths wide. Keep at it man, looking good.
Advertisement
I´d move the mouth up a bit, and move the chin a bit more foreward, I like them a bit more pointed, but that´s just a matter of taste, I guess. The point where backhead meets neck should be a bit further backwars, looks too sharp to me.
I´d second d2king10´s suggestion about the eyes, they seem too large and a bit too far away from each other.
@ d2king10

Cheers man, cant believe I didnt spot that!! lol I've made the eye sockets smaller now, and also brought them a bit closer together, so it should look better now

@ matches81

Well spotted about the mouth, I've moved it up, but Im not sure whether it needs to come up a tiny bit more still? The chins been moved slighty forwards, and hopefully the base of the head/neck area is sorted now. (Ive got the neck attached to the main model, so thats why this head is neckless)

Thanks guys, I appreciate all your input :D here's the latest render, I added the basic top hat, took some polys out, and added some test materials

Cheers
Looks a lot better! Keep it up! Ill be watching this =)
I´m not too sure whether I´d move up the mouth a tiny bit more or not, either ;)
you could just try it out and decide which one you like better?
In that screenshot the mouth looks okay in the left two pics, the right-most one does give the impression it could be moved up a bit more, but that might as well be the perspective. But, as it looks that way from that perspective the other two might as well disguise it? I would try it out.

One other thing again ;) Since the lips of this guy are quite thin I would make his nose 'match it'. As far as I see on that screens the transition between nose and cheeks starts quite far beneath the eyes. Getting that transition to start 'later', that is more upwards could make his nose look sharper without changing it´s shape too much. But that depends on how the character should be perceived. If he´s supposed to be a nice guy I´d keep the nose as it is, if he´s supposed to look creepy or even evil I´d change the nose a bit to make it more accented.

Though I don´t have too much experience with character modeling (still trying to get my first human model look right, the hands keep me screaming), so it could well be that that nose suggestion is just pure nonsense ;)
First off thanks again guys :D

I hadn't really thought about whetehr he was going to be good or bad, the main purpose of this character was to give me a way to learn how to get models in to the Source engine.

I don't expect him to be used in the final game, although I suppose he would be an ok background character...anyway, I've called it a day on the modeling front, and now I'm getting him all unwrapped ready for textures.

I'll post up some piccies once the textures start looking ok

Cheers
Ive made models for the source engine, but i could never manage to get them in game, or for that matter, even exported into .mdls.
You should use CannonFodders HL2 tools, they are absolutely fantastic and a much easier way of getting content in game than click and dragging and setting up endless folders etc.

I did some tests with an old character, bascially it takes:

1 click to export as .mdl (reference)
1 click to export as .mdl (containing animation data) - optional

Once you've made those its time to get the stuff actually compiled for Source:

1 click to compile a texture
1 click to compile a model

Then open up Hammer, select your model and away you go, it really is that simple

I use the 3DSMAX SMD Exporters and Importer with StudioCompiler, and you can get both of them here for free>>>

Cannon Fodder's excellent HL2 tools
Thanks ill have to try it out, well keep us updated!
Some suggestions;

Thicken up the lips by creating a second edge loop slightly (ever so) around the entire lip. Then move the loop upwards and downwards (but not sideways). Use your origional lip line to give the lips fullness.

Play the cheekbone down, it is generally a femanine quality and even though some men do have jutting bones they never (at least not that I have seen) extrude that far from the cheek.

Male eyes are generally thinner (heigthwise) than what you have, try to move the top eyelid down about 1/4 of an inch (relative to human scale). Then use the space above it to create an eyelid.

Widen the nose at the nostrils.

Looking at your wireframe (although small) I can tell that you do not have any edge loop covering the middle portion of the nose, this create the blend that connects cheek to nose which, on your model happens far to high on the face.

Here is a picture!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement