[java] Whats a good java IDE?

Started by
50 comments, last by Frank Henry 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi, There seems to be hundreds of java ide's out there and am looking for opinions on a good one. Is there a java ide standard ide that most devs use? Like vs is for c languages dev? I've heard netbeans was slow. Any info would be great, Thanks
Advertisement
Eclipse
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I liked BlueJ.
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
NetBeans is probably the best Java IDE available.

Luck!
Guimo
Another vote for Eclipse.

I don't mean to start a flamewar or anything, but Netbeans is horrid. Sun has been losing more and more developers to Eclipse. It's gotten so bad that they're bundling Netbeans with the Java 1.5 SDK. (I know you can get the SDK without it- but it seems very telling that they would bundle Netbeans around the time that less people are using it.) They've also been very sneaky- quoting the recent increase of Netbeans downloads as proof people like the program. When of course, the increased downloads have a lot to do with the bundle.

Not that Netbeans is *bad* or anything. Just that Eclipse has been and is better currently. Only recently has Netbeans been able to hold a flame against Eclipse. And that's because Sun's been playing catchup hardcore.
NetBeans. Eclipse does more, but chugs.
Quote:Original post by CJH

And NetBeans doesn't? JBuilder's load time blows NetBeans out of the water on my computer. But NetBeans does more than JBuilder, so...*shrugs*
I eat heart attacks
IntelliJ IDEA
Quote:Original post by Fruny
Eclipse

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by CJH

buy a new computer, your's is too old if eclipse chugs. netbeans always chugs.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement