VR glasses

Started by
3 comments, last by Shannon Barber 23 years, 4 months ago
http://www.elsa.com/international/europe/produkte/mmedia/3drelevator.htm Does anyonw have, or has anyone used, a pair of these? I used (experienced?) this technology a number of years ago with a Performer system running IRIX on a O2. The glasses I used were two thousand bucks! These are less than $100! It is simply amazing. It really is full color high-fidelity 3D - not 3D projected into 2D like your monitor now - real 3D. I just wanted to make sure these things work the way I think they do: You put ''em on and look at the monitor, and so long as the programming running is in steroscopic mode, its 3D. The lens flicker (they''re really LCDs that switch very rapidly from clear to black) out-of-phase of eachother at half the monitors refresh rate. The video card goes into stereoscopic mode, in which it flip between two different frames while refreshing. One frame is rendered for the left eye, the other for the right. When viewed with the naked eye it looks very blurry; the glasses sync to the monitor''s refresh rate so when the right frame is being displayed the left lens is black, and vice-versa on the next refresh. The result is an optical illusion of a real 3D image.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Advertisement
I have a pair of them, but I never got them to work quite right. However, I think that was becuase my monitor wouldn''t push a high enough refresh rate (90, I believe it wanted). They kinda worked, but I haven''t tried them since I got my new monitor. The other problem was that they only worked with Direct3D, so I had to run the program (Unreal in this case) in Direct3D mode, which didn''t work very well.

Maybe I''ll try them out again and let you know how they work.
They sound like they would cut the frame rate in half.
I have them too, I bought them at last year''s GDC for $35. The trouble is, they only work on Win 98, and I have Win2K!

Has anybody gotten them to work under Win2K?

Tim
yeah they cut the frame rate in half; the price of progress...
Disappointing that they dont work in w2k

And 90Hz refresh on the monitor sounds like a reasonable minimum (you''d have a headache in ms with less)
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement