Free Online Fantasy Game

Started by
10 comments, last by swordfish 18 years, 8 months ago
Mercenary Lords (http://www.mercenarylords.com/) is a free online fantasy game that is playable but in need of playtesting. It's a lunch-break strategy game like Kings Of Chaos, but with tiled 2D graphics (and a map). I'd like to get some players signed up so I can iron out any bugs (particularly browser compatibility) and tweak the gameplay. The art is yet to be finalised (in particular, the logo is a 10 minute Gimp job) and I intend on commissioning some better work if the player response is adequate. I'd appreciate any feedback or ideas you might have, and you can reach me at admin@mercenarylords.com. At the moment it'll probably only work with Firefox (any platform) or IE 5+ (Windows).
Advertisement
Well, I gave it a try.. First of all, you are right in that it doesn't work with Opera, the map doesn't load at all. On IE, it did load, but the first time it took quite a long time, somehow it was loading each single tile separately and didn't cache it at all. It was smooth sailing after that, though.

Other than that.. Well, there isn't a lot to do yet, so it's hard to tell. The fighting system may be a bit unfair, as there's nothing preventing a strong player from just taking everything from those above him. But again, I guess with more content it might be less of an issue.

All in all, I like what I see, it looks promising, just looks very empty right now.
I used Firefox; it worked fine. I got attacked before I could spend my money, so gotta wait until tomorrow to buy troops! It might be good to place a first-time user in a more isolated area so they can't get jumped right away while figuring out what's going on.

Seems like it will be enjoyable once it's more fleshed out. Well, guess I'll check back tomorrow.
Quote:Original post by Wuntvor
On IE, it did load, but the first time it took quite a long time, somehow it was loading each single tile separately and didn't cache it at all. It was smooth sailing after that, though.

IE 6+ doesn't use the cache properly when loading images created from &#106avascript. I've tried several work-arounds, but haven't come up with anything clean. A full preload of all the images on log-in will probably be necessary.

Other than that.. Well, there isn't a lot to do yet, so it's hard to tell. The fighting system may be a bit unfair, as there's nothing preventing a strong player from just taking everything from those above him. But again, I guess with more content it might be less of an issue.

Like in other web-based strategy games, once there are enough players I expect high-level players will either leave newbies alone or absorb them into their alliances. Note that you can still move once you've been attacked and are able to hide. I will add a more detailed how-to-play section at some stage which explains things like this.

Having said that, I can see that if you hide there isn't much to see...

All in all, I like what I see, it looks promising, just looks very empty right now.

This is a fair comment, especially given that there aren't many players at the moment. I have been giving some thought to including some NPCs to kick-start things, especially for players who are starting out and need to hide while they build up their armies.

Thanks for your comments.
Quote:Original post by Gehazi
I got attacked before I could spend my money, so gotta wait until tomorrow to buy troops! It might be good to place a first-time user in a more isolated area so they can't get jumped right away while figuring out what's going on.

You can buy troops and weapons immediately after being attacked. The only things you can't do are attack or get in the way of other players. I can see from this and the first comment that first-time users are going to be turned off by a) being attacked straight away and b) having nothing interesting to escape to. I'll give this some thought.

This is (unhelpfully) ommitted from the how-to-play page, but if you stand on a gold-deposit (those dirt patches with specks of yellow) then the daily income of all players in your alliance gets a boost.

Thanks for your comments.
Hello,

Yesterday I had three kinds of weapons, today there is only swords !
Quote:Original post by zerglingrush
Like in other web-based strategy games, once there are enough players I expect high-level players will either leave newbies alone or absorb them into their alliances. Note that you can still move once you've been attacked and are able to hide. I will add a more detailed how-to-play section at some stage which explains things like this.

I really liked the how-to-play section. It was short, concise, and let you play the game immediately. Something about moving around on the battlefield, and the fact that you have a limited amount of turns should be added.

All in all, I like what I see, it looks promising,

I agree. It looks very promising.
I really like the overall work. But there isn't much i can say right now beacuse i ran out of turns
Hope I was helpful. And thank you if you were!
Just replying to tell you I really enjoyed your game. It worked on Mozilla for me and I did find one glitch I moved NW onto a tree. Other than that it was great fun.
PS. I think the turns should go up per minute or w/e rather than by day. It's great to see such a well done game using js and php of course but I'm working on a &#106avascript game right now actually :P(shameless self-promotion haha <a href="http://www.cyberpunkgame.0nyx.com/">http://www.cyberpunkgame.0nyx.com/</a>)
Just a heads up, it also doesn't work in Safari 2.0.

Tried in firefox...it was a fun little time. It was tough to figure out who to attack and what not too...but well done!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement