Sign in to follow this  
Buzz1982

Writing to Excel file using C++ & win32

Hi, I need to know if there is any way to write to an excel file using c++ & win32. I was looking for the excel file format on the internet but was unable to find it. Many people told me that its proprietry format. The other way i found was by using OLE & MFC which I am not familiar with. isn't there any win32 & c++ related way of doing it as I have to export some data from my application(which is in c++ & win32 & No MFC) into an excel file. If there is anyway or some tutorial related to this problem , please guide me. Thanks Bye.

There are some solutions available. I'm sure you found out about the CSV file format, which just holds all entries separated by comma's. If you just want your program's data in Excel, this is a very simple option.

I remember there being a C/C++ library which just supported the Excel file format, even though its proprietary, but I couldn't find it anymore. What I did found was:

Code Project - a short explanations and code for reading simple Excel files (i.e. not the whole format is discussed but it might do the job for you).

SPTK2 - a small toolkit claiming to contain reading and writing functions for Excel files.

I haven't checked either but you can do so. There were many more suggestions from Google so perhaps you'd like to search more.

Greetz,

Illco

I *know* you can program Excel with COM (Component Object Model), but right now Google won't help me find anything to help you.

This doesn't mention COM, but seems to be what you want: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0470024690/qid=1121007527/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-4387934-2094430?v=glance&s=books