Artifacts on the screen with my 9700Pro

Started by
9 comments, last by MrWeet 18 years, 9 months ago
I decided to give my old ati 9700Pro (well, it wasnt that hard a decision ;D) to my brother, and stuck it in his machine. However, when I booted up with it, there were rows of green squares across the screen, making it nearly unreadable.. and im not sure why this is happening, but i've narrowed it down to a few conclusions (i think X( ) - There's not enough power to the card, he only has a 250W PSU.. - The chip isnt cool enough, i stuck a stock Heatsink and fan on it.. - The graphics card is borked.. I would put it in my machine to test it, but its not around atm. Thanks in advance, Dave
╔═══╦═══╗╚═══╩═══╝
Advertisement
Newest drivers installed?
----------------------------------------------------"Plant a tree. Remove a Bush" -A bumper sticker I saw.
I don't think it's the drivers.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
I had a similar problem. I was frequently getting red corruption all over the screen. In my case it seemed to be related to overheating; it was fine when I opened the case and pointed a big fan at it. Perhaps the heatsink wasn't properly attached or something.

The problem got worse until a few weeks ago the thing cooked itself completely, taking out the motherboard with it. Fortunately I was planning on upgrading anyway.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

This usually means it's overheating. Check the cooling arrangements.
can you suggest any decent cooling/cooling systems?
╔═══╦═══╗╚═══╩═══╝
You could try an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer, I have one of those and it's pretty good. It replaces the heatsink on your graphics card. It also extracts some air from the case rather than just blowing hot air around inside it, which is nice. It's a bitch to clean when it gets dusty, though.

Make sure the case is cool- a couple of well placed fans did the trick for me- I was getting similar graphical corruption until I did that.

You'll definitely want a new PSU as well, 250watt isn't really enough for that card plus cooling solutions.

[edited with better info]
the rug - funpowered.com
I used to run my 9700 in a system with a 220Watt powersupply without any problems (and this was with a lot of things hooked up, like a DVD burner and two hard drives); so I doubt that's the problem. My guess would be overheating, or maybe just damage to the card itself.
if it's broken even at bootup (low power, no 3D), then something is sreiously wrong.

I had corrupted screens, but only after crashes. THose crashes may, or may not have been the consequence of overheating (quite possible, happened after intense 3D games mostly).

I also had a 9700 die on me. check the capacitors, one on the card blew up. See if they are leaking or burned.

Everything is better with Metal.

Quote:if it's broken even at bootup (low power, no 3D), then something is sreiously wrong.

Mmm, good point. I'd try removing and reseating the graphics card to see if that does anything. If it's still the same, it's probably damaged.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement