MSVC .NET Questions

Started by
13 comments, last by intrest86 18 years, 9 months ago
Does MSVC .NET offer a good editor/compiler? Almost all the reviews on Amazon.com for it were negative, but I wanted to get everyone's opinion. Also, can it compile C programs as well as Cpp?
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Advertisement
as long as you get the newer one:

microsoft visual studio.net 2003 (also known as version 7.1)

visual basic
visual basic.net
c++
c++.net
C
the list goes on...

Basically, if you're developing on the windows platform, you need to get the microsoft visual studio compiler. It makes life a whole lot easier.

Trust me, the guys on the forum are all linux nerds. Every one of them hates windows because they're just sucking up to linus. Trust me, Windows rocks, so get MSVC.
It can indeed compile C programs as well as C++. You also don't have to write .NET code if you don't want to, which seems to be a common misconception.

The compiler is better than the MSVC6 version. A lot of people prefer the previous IDE, but that's probably just resisting change from what they're used to. [wink] If you're planning to get a version of Visual Studio, you may as well go for .NET. There were some bugs in it at first, but AFAIK most of the problems have been ironed out of the newer version.

- Jason Astle-Adams

ms vb 2005 express and msvc2005 express really kickass IMO. The only gripes I have is that msvcexpress 2005(which is a beta) is missing an important dialog and neither of them are very responsive(but I have a relatively slow pc). They are free too! check em out.
Cool, but I was talking about the Standard Edition, the one that got all the bad reviews on Amazon (and is signifigantly cheaper [wink]). I only need to develop in C/Cpp. Is that one any good?
Edit: Do you have to be a student to buy VS .NET Academic Edition? Would you even want it if you weren't a student?
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
ya you have to be a student to get it, but it is usfull for learning (its what i have, and its the proffesional version), but it is not legal to use for commercial development.
-Matt S.
Academic version means that you can't distribute it for money (ie. market a professional application and sell it to make profits off of a cheap piece of expensive software). You have to be in college to buy it (with a few exceptions from some companies), thus college STUDENT, and it's mainly for college kids that can't afford the professional software, and are interested in learning rather than developing a game or something.

As for the standard version... I'd try to get the professional version (if you're not going academic). There are so many more features, and I hate buying something, knowing that something else out there is better.

Also, try looking on ebay for some stuff.

I got:

Microsoft Visual Studio.net 2003 Enterprise Architect Edition (normally priced at microsoft at 2,000 - 2,900) for 300 bucks. 300 bucks!!! Someone must not have known what it was.

But ya, I like knowing that the software is mine, and if I ever got a sudden urge to make the next WoW, I could do so royalty free.
By the way, Enterprise Architect edition is the best software of the
four~ Standard, Professional, and some other developer architect or something stupid, and then enterprise architect.

Don't buy the first car you think is cool. There will be many more to choose from.
By the way, does anyone know where to get a manual for the MSVC compiler???

The guy never sent me one off ebay, and I had to figure everything out.

I know damn well that I haven't learned anything, and I have no manual to reference too.
Just one more question... does anybody know if Visual Studio 2005 will have support for DirectX? Will any of the Express Editions have DX support?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement