Anyone recommend a good directx book???

Started by
17 comments, last by Gardon 18 years, 9 months ago
I'm looking at books like: "Tricks of the windows game programming Gurus" and "Programming role playing games with directx" (2nd edition) but they don't teach directx. They just tell me how to use it in certain situations, like game creation (which I'm obviously studying for, but I can't make a game without knowing how to use directx). So, does anyone know of a good beginners book to directx???
Advertisement
Introduction to 3d game programming with directx 9, frank d. luna, and then theres another by the same company with advanced in the title, cant remember name.
Maybe thats what your looking for
Thank you very much.

Gardon
By the way, has anyone read either book (listed above) and can comment on how it helped/did not help them?
I have the first one around here somewhere, very good for getting started (others seem to agree on amazon) not sure about the second. Mentioned it because it seems like the next book to get after the first one, but i dont know for sure, havent read it. Although from what you said you should be in pretty good shape getting the first one. Always read as much as you can about a book before you buy it to see if its what your looking for.
I have them and they are AWESOME Books. There was a lot of stuff i could not understand that these book help me understand them now.
Which do you recommend reading first?

----------------------------------------------------

Tricks of the windows game programming gurus (2nd edition)--By the way, the second edition is just a remake of the first. It's the same book.

Programming role playing games with directx

Introduction to 3d role playing games with frank d. luna

Thanks for your time (that's not a book :P)

Gardon
In your original post you wanted a directx book, if thats the case, then what you probably want to start with is the one i suggested or something like it. Im not familiar with the "programming a certain type of game" books, as i tend to look more towards how to make the parts that make the game, then you can make whatever game you want. From what ive read of those types of books they give you an overview of what is required to implement a game of that type and the fast track learning to getting it done. Im not sure what your programming experience is but if your not an experinced programmer you could get confused by the code (which is why you should maybe start with the basics of what puts graphics on the screen, what moves them, etc). Alhtough tricks of the windows game programming gurus does teach you how to use directx, it doesnt teach you what directx is actully doing under the function calls (atleast not as in depth as the individual topic books would, and it will have working games at the end, but not rpgs per say).
What is your experince and what are you trying to achieve now and in the long run?
woah you're right.

I just turned 17, and I'm planning on going to college for computer science. I've been teaching myself c++ for a little over a year now, and I feel ready to go ahead with directx and/or windows programming in the near future, to help me with my studies.

The plan is: go to college, get a computer science degree, attend a gaming school (digi pen, etc.) and hopefully start my own game. As for now, since I'm not in a class for it, I want to learn how to program my own smaller games, so I know what to expect when I get out of college and try to get a real job in the field.

Long story short: I want to learn directx and windows programming so I can create my own game (not necessarily a RPG or MMORPG, but something that will teach me how to program more effeciently), but you're right, Tricks of the windows... doesn't tell you how directx works, but rather how to use it (which is hard when you're trying to drive a car but you don't know where the pedal is).

What's a good book for me, if any, and how can I start using my c++ skills towards game programming? And, is there an easier way to make games? I know programming is hard (from experience, I can say making a game would be extremely difficult), but is directx the way to go for me right now, as I'm just starting out?

Thanks,

Gardon
Personally, I recommend that you try some 2D games with a good 2D API like SDL first. That way you could focus more on how to make a game and less on how to get a 3D API to work. First encounters with 3D APIs can be quite discouraging.

If you do want to go with DirectX though, get Frank Luna's book. It's a heavy read, but it's the only one out there that'll actually tell you how things work. I've read a lot of other DX books and they all seem to rush through the DirectX part as if they only sort of know the material themselves. Expect to spend some time with the book though...

If you do go with DirectX, realize that you'll be spending a lot of time on learning the API and much less time on making games. That's totally fine of course, but just be aware that 3D graphics is no easy subject. Definately not a worthwhile thing to rush.

One last note, you could also try OpenGL. I only mention this because the online resources are better for OpenGL (NeHe NeHe NeHe). You could give it a shot and see if learning a 3D API is for you right now or if you'd rather make some 2D games first. You can always try DX later.

I hope I've helped
-Aaron
-------------------------------See my tutorial site: Click here

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement