Anyone recommend a good directx book???

Started by
17 comments, last by Gardon 18 years, 9 months ago
First off, thanks a ton Aaron. I really appreciate you helping me.

It's just that every book I get, whether it's:

tricks of the windows game programming gurus

or

multiplayer game programming with directx

or

teach yourself directx in xxxdays

-----------------------------------------------

they all seem to teach somewhat of the subject at hand, but nothing really helps me pull it together.

Like, I know how the windows api works, but I can't implement it into a game because I have absolutely no idea where to start.

It's like going to school and learning about the history of the world, but learning 1200-1000 B.C, then skipping to 500B.C-500 A.D and then to 2005, and not having any idea why anything happened the way it did.

Yes, you'd know a lot about the three different time periods, but you wouldn't have any idea on why we live the way we do today because everything just jumped around.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, here's my question:

If I want to make a 2D RPG, what would I need to do?

Should I start out with directx 2D stuff, or just try something else, like SDL or openGL or whatever?
It just seems that directx and windows programming go hand in hand, and that's why I wanted to learn directx. Also, I have numerous books on Directx, and I'd feel as if I'm wasting them if I went to opengl or SDL or whatever. I'm a windows user, I hate linux and mac, and I'd develop on my windows. That doesn't mean necessarily only for windows, but if it's easier than why not?

Thanks for your time,

Gardon
Advertisement
Also, if I want to make 3D games in the future, should I start with directx now and learn 2d directx so I can build 3d stuff later on, or will directx come easier as 3d then anything else, so I might as well do 2d in something other than directx?
NumberXaero is right, its a great book. In fact the group I'm in is going through the book together as a project for review and for the beginners in the group. The group is open to anyone if you are interested in going through it with us. Let me know.

Shane
I was in your EXACT situation when I started. I had a ton of dx books and didn't want to waste them. Don't worry though, they're not a waste. You can go back to them later.

I really do recommend that you use SDL for 2D instead of dx. I thought it would be easier to learn 3D with dx after learning 2D with dx, but it really is easier to learn dx when you're doing 3D stuff (at least I think so).

Warning: Shameless plug commencing in 2 seconds...

If you want to learn how SDL, I've written a bunch of tutorials for doing so. I have some existing tutorials for making Tetris, Pong, and Breakout. You can see them here: my site. Coincidentally, I'll be posting a new series of tutorials that teaches SDL tonight. If you go to my site tonight around 8:00pm (pacific time), there'll be a ton of new tutorials under 2D Game Tutorials.

In the next couple of weeks I'll be writing tutorials on some general game programming issues. It would be nice to know what beginners are looking for. You can email me at aaroncox1234@hotmail.com if you have any requests. I'll basically be writing tutorials to show people how to put games together.

End of shameless plug.

There's also a really great site here that teaches SDL. It doesn't show you how to make a game, but it does show you how to get graphics on the screen, handle input, play music, etc.

Oh yeah, and learning SDL isn't a waste. You can make a window, handle input, get timers, and do many more things with SDL. You can use SDL with DirectX, so it definately wouldn't be a waste.

-Aaron
-------------------------------See my tutorial site: Click here
You're god

Thanks greatly,

Jason
I've got Tricks and recently I've bought Game Code Complete (GCC) - imho, GCC (ed. 2) is so much better. Its an all around book, which gives you so much coverage - and its cheaper!
Ya really, lol thanks

Gardon
Hi Gardon,

Books are nice, but also there are a lot of free information and DX tutorials all over the net. It is completely possible to learn a lot only with the web material.
Take a look at, for example, DX FAQ, specially in "Links to other resources" section.

Good luck! [smile]
Thank you sir

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement