Can someone guide me through using windows programming to make pong?

Started by
7 comments, last by nilkn 18 years, 9 months ago
I can do it (make it) fine without the windows programming (through the regular win32 console project), but I'm totally lost when it comes to the actual win32 project. Is there any tutorial on this or can someone show me how to do this? Window programming doesn't seem hard, but it's just weird because I don't know where to put the function calls and stuff. Thanks, Gardon
Advertisement
Look at SDL and ClanLib for some easy yet powerful graphics libraries. Clanlib includes other things as well (sound, resource manager, xml reader, etc.)
How do those compare to directx??? Is it a replacement, or just a substitution for low level gaming?

Note: The reason being is that I need to learn DirectX for later years.
They are subsitutes for DirectX. I recommended them, despite them being less powerful graphics-wise, because they rid you of messing with the Win32 API.
Thanks
The Win32 API basically allows you to use pre-defined, low-level graphics, use the common controls (like edit boxes), and use specific functions that can give your programs additional functionality. The other things mentioned, like SDL or ClanLib, use the Win32 API for parts of their functionality, and make it much easier to use graphics in your application.
I'm just finishing a pretty sweet worms game, using pure win32 API only, and I had to make a pretty big wrapper for the API, because it is soooo messy. I'll guide you through the Windows API part for pong, if you like - I already made pong (a simple, throwaway version, in a couple of hours. It isn't really too much to add on, if you did a good job making your pong game.

Email me:

silverphyre673@comcast.net
my siteGenius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration
Ya, check your email
Quote:Original post by nilkn
They are subsitutes for DirectX. I recommended them, despite them being less powerful graphics-wise, because they rid you of messing with the Win32 API.

They're not *really* substitutes - they sit on top of DirectX (on Windows platforms ;)) and provide a simpler API to the programmer.

J.
Quote:Original post by OriginalJax
Quote:Original post by nilkn

They're not *really* substitutes - they sit on top of DirectX (on Windows platforms ;)) and provide a simpler API to the programmer.

J.

Now you're just being a smart-ellic. [grin]

But if you really want to get technical, ClanLib will accept as render targets either OpenGL, or (gasp!) SDL itself. So I guess with ClanLib you get the best of both worlds.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement